Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help! How to wrap a mesh around a sphere

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
elmedia3117
2149 Views, 11 Replies

Need help! How to wrap a mesh around a sphere

I am stuck and really hope there is a simple answer. I am creating a branded "earth" with a clients logo. I need to take the final mesh and wrap it around a sphere. When I started this, I figured it would be simple - no such luck.

I would be very appreciative of any help or suggestions to point me in the right direction.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
TedBoardman
in reply to: elmedia3117

>>I need to take the final mesh and wrap it around a sphere<<

Elmedia,

You might be able to do it with two Bend modifiers.

I've done it here with a box, a subdivide modifier to make sure I have enough vertices, and then the bend modifiers.

Good luck and have fun.

Ted

Message 3 of 12
caprier

If you have separated objects and need to keep them that way, use a couple of bend modifier-based space warps instead.

(To get an exact sphere, you need your map to have a 2:1 ratio).

EDIT: This might not be a good idea, after all. I couldn't find a way to 'collapse' the space warps (and I don't think it's possible, in max 9). It might be better to apply bend modifiers on all the parts at once (adding a plane that you'll delete later can help for the dimensions and location of the modifiers' gizmos).

Message 4 of 12
TedBoardman

>>I couldn’t find a way to ‘collapse’ the space warps (and I don’t think it’s possible, in max 9)<<

Good alternative, Caprier

You should be able to use the Snapshot tool to create a new mesh that's the shape of the modified object.

Ted
Message 5 of 12
caprier

Hello , Ted.

I just made a few tries with the snapshot tool. Not matter what, I always get flat copies. What the space warps do is just ignored. The user reference says 'the snapshot tool lets you clone an object along its animation path". Same thing with the spacing tool.
Message 6 of 12
elmedia3117

Thanks for your help - it has saved the day actually. I am attaching final screen shots of the globe.

Message 7 of 12
TedBoardman

>>I always get flat copies<<

It works OK here in max 9, Caprier...provided we're talking the same thing.

I add a Subdivide modifier and 2 Bend spacewarps to a box and then choose Tools, Snapshot. Make sure the Mesh option is checked...otherwise it creates a copy, etc.

Are we talking the same thing.

>>Max does not have a simple tool for this type of project<<

Gee, you can't get much simpler than 2 bend modifiers, elmedia!

Ted
Message 8 of 12
TedBoardman

>>I am attaching final screen shots of the globe.<<

Great elmedia, that looks perfect!

If you had any maps assigned before the Bend modifiers (not sure about the spacewarps, haven't tried) then the maps should still fit the bent mesh fine.

Congrats.

Ted
Message 9 of 12
elmedia3117

Thanks Ted. I am used to SolidWorks which approaches modeling in a very different way than Max. I have used Max mostly for rendering and I find the ways that max approaches modeling challenging - only because I am not used to it. It really is a fantastic program and when I have time (ha, ha) I would like to sit down and play with some of it's modeling tools as I suspect they are quite powerful.
Message 10 of 12
TedBoardman

>>find the ways that max approaches modeling challenging<<

And it's always worse when you know another modeling program! 🙂

The thing with max is that it is a rather old program and was designed by people who had hardly heard of cad and had no interest in it. When Autodesk took charge of marketing in the early 90's (the dos version) the slow process of trying to integrate cad-like features and compatibility without breaking everything else began.

They've done a pretty good job of it considering the disparity in basic software design, but max is a different animal, for sure.

You will need to learn the fundamentals of how max works in order to get full benefit of the software design. It's not difficult stuff, just unique to max. Then you have a foundation of knowledge to build on and will begin to see how several simple processes can be combined for complex results. There's no such thing as "advanced" modeling in max, it's just more and more simple steps.

My free video tutorials at http://www.tbmax.net and my new video series that can be found right now on the Area home page will help lay that foundation.

Now...you just need to find the time...;)

Ted
Message 11 of 12
caprier

Ted, you're right. I had copy checked instead of mesh. Thanks a lot.

Elmedia, nice model. 🙂
Message 12 of 12
elmedia3117

Here is a new challenge. Any suggestions on how to export this beast as a dxf or dwg? As it sits right now, there is too much geometry for it to properly handle the export.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report