Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help getting a project started.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Dahver
191 Views, 8 Replies

Need help getting a project started.

Hello all, I'm new to these forums and I've been practicing with 3DsMax on and off for a few years now, so I at least retained the basics when it comes to modeling. Now I've never created any vehicles and am interested in creating a Kestrel-type spaceship from a game called EVE Online and I really got no idea on how I can accurately model it without any dimensions or blueprints to go off of. Here's what it looks like so you all can get a general idea: http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/graphics/ids/2048/313.jpg

Any help on how to start off is very much appreciated 😄
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
StephenMF
in reply to: Dahver

I think you have the solution within reach.

How about taking screen shots of the spaceship from many angles. Especially top/bottom, left/right, front/back.

This will give you a very good idea of the dimensions of the spacecraft

After that it should be easy to model, keep us updated.

Stephen
Message 3 of 9
Dahver

Alright, I got the pictures from all angles and close-ups of the hard to see areas, I'm going to try to get something working here. I'll try to post some pics of my progress as I go. Thanks for the help 😄
Message 4 of 9
Dahver

Hmmm, I'm applying my screenshots as the viewport background for each angle but the screenshots seem to drop to low-quality when they're put into the scene, is there anyway to increase the quality so they're not so blocky and hard to see?
Message 5 of 9
Steve_Curley

Better to put them on Plane objects (standard materials). Set the planes to have Backface Cull, turn off "show frozen in grey", then freeze them. You may need to up the Self Illumination as well.

You can improve the quality of the bitmaps by configuring the DX driver.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 9
Dahver

Oh, wow, Thanks dude! 😄
Message 7 of 9
Dahver

Well, I've been working at it and I just got done rough modeling the engines. How do you think I'm doing so far compared to the original from the game that I posted above?

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/610/kestrelenginesmodelcomp.png
Message 8 of 9
Dahver

Yay, I finally got something going 😄 Even customized it to my liking!
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7126/dragonhead3.jpg
Message 9 of 9
Steve_Curley

Tip. If you want "crits" of a project, or to show your progress, there's a Highlight your work forum in the 3D General area of this site. The main forums such as this one are really for asking specific questions rather than discussing a project in more general terms.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report