Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help fixing a Retopo mesh

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jon.larsen
225 Views, 1 Reply

Need help fixing a Retopo mesh

So I am retopologizing an asteroid i made.  I used quad draw to do so.  I must have hit a button or press the right combination of keys because after i finished about half my mesh is perminately smoothed.  So when i have the mesh selected and press 1, parts are smooth and others are sharp.  pressing 3 obviously makes everything smooth.

The problem i'm running into is when i bake my normal map.  It's baking in all those hard edges in the normal map.  After it's done and applies it to the shader, the shader looks like a partial mesh with grid lines and such.

Anyone have any suggestions, other than starting over, on what i could try to do to fix this?

Many thanks!

-Jon

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Calebos
in reply to: jon.larsen

Hi,

when you want to bake normal maps, you need to have your mesh in high resolution state. The key "3" just shows(smoothes) mesh in realtime mode. Doing it with gpu(so the actual explicit resolution of your mesh stays in retopologised state you made). So simply smooth physically your mesh to desired resolution and then export the normal map.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report