Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving/Rotating/Scaling too fast

53 REPLIES 53
Message 1 of 54
Anonymous
13989 Views, 53 Replies

Moving/Rotating/Scaling too fast

I have problem with moving objects. When I grab an object and start moving it, object moves sometimes 10x or 100x faster than mouse. Couple millimeters of mouse movement and the object is moved far away from the screen. There is the same problem also with the rotate (small movement and object is spinning around and around) and also with the scaling. Most annoying thing is, that even undo doesn't work, so when you try the move something one meter and end result is that the object is moving 1700 meters away, undo doesn't bring it back. Restarting the program helps sometimes, but after a while problem comes back.

setup: 3DsMAX Design 2014 sp5, two screens, Quadro K2100M, Win7 64bit

53 REPLIES 53
Message 41 of 54
RobH2
in reply to: juha_h

I'm sorry to hear that. So far I'm still OK. Have you posted anything to the 3DConnection forum or contacted them directly? That needs to be done. At this point I don't think it's an Autodesk issue. It's as bug that 3DConnexion is going to have to fix.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 42 of 54
RobH2
in reply to: juha_h

I've now had the problem come back again. Drat.

I have a suspicion and a question to any of you following this thread. Are any of you NOT using a Wacom tablet? I have a suspicion that it's related to the Wacom. So, if any of you are NOT using a Wacom, but still having the issue, then it will eliminate my suspicion.

The reason I think the Wacom is involved is that when you click something with the pen, there is a delay. You know how if you have a bunch of radio boxes to check or uncheck and if you check them as fast as you can (like you would with a mouse), how they won't check properly? You have to pause just a split second before you click the next one. It's a delay that I've gotten used to.

What if that's causing the 3D mouse issue. Say you use your pen to do something in the viewport and then grab your 3D mouse to rotate, but, the code for that pen click it still running? Maybe it causes an error and scrambles the rotation and undo code that's stored in RAM or something?

I'm making an effort right now to make sure that I don't touch my 3D mouse after I do a pen click for a second or so. I'll see if the runaway acceleration ceases. Then mabye I'll try to break it and pen click and rotate the 3D mouse quickly without giving either time to settle. I'll if I can't force the issue to occur. Can some of you try this out too?

But, if all of you are using a Wacom and having the issue it becomes more difficult. We'd have to get Wacom and 3DConnexion involved and that's going to be impossible.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 43 of 54
dan.schoedel
in reply to: RobH2

I don't have a 3d Mouse, but I do have a Wacom Intuos 3.  I was having the same issues.  I stopped the Wacom service and it seemed to fix it.  Wacam service is back running today without interfering with 3ds Max.  Yay intermitent issues!  

Thanks for the info! 

Message 44 of 54
RobH2
in reply to: dan.schoedel

I'm glad you are finding some relief. I reported back in October, now almost 3 months ago that buying the SpaceMouse Pro and retiring my tried and true original Space Pilot solved my runaway issue. I haven't had it since. I hate to be synical, but it's possible that 3DConnexion could have fixed the issue and released a patch for the SpacePilot, but, then it would have hurt the sales of a new device. I don't imagine the "knob" mechanism in the new one is any different from the old one. They seem to have that down pretty well. I think the only difference is the housing and the features. At any rate, the "runaway" problem was easy to solve by throwing $400 at it.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 45 of 54
Brock_Lafond

I had a similar issue with my Space Navigator a few weeks ago; and I do have a wacom tablet.

What fixed it for me was to update the 3Dconnexion driver and recalibrate the Space Navigator. Something seems to have caused the calibration to go all screwy.

It seems that in new versions of the software the calibrate tool has been moved to the tray icon; you have to right-click it.

Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 46 of 54
Anonymous

I think 3Dconnexion team knows the problem: https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8341

[We are tracking this issue internally with bug #6777. The fix for this problem is expected to be in the next release of 3DxWare 10.1.x.]

but latest drvers are not the solution, (at least not for the max2014 users): https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9666

[We are tracking this issue internally with bug #6815. I will inform you if we have a solution or if we find a workaround. In the meantime please install our previous version of the driver 3DxWare 10.1.4.]

Message 47 of 54
Anonymous

There are two of us at my company who are not using a wacom and its happening to us.

Message 48 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

hi some body help me .

in Maya 2018 i have facing some problem i can't select any object when i create like box spear any thing. its not going to selecting and not move this scaling also not working

please help me

Tags (1)
Message 49 of 54
Anonymous

3dConnexion finally managed to get updated drivers out for 2018, but this error reappeared for me too (3dsMax 2018).

I'm getting really frustrated at 3dConnexion.

Message 50 of 54
Anonymous

Hi Everyone!

I have made two steps

1) in 3dsmax.ini put under [Preference] AdaptiveNavigation=0

2) switched off max, took out mouse, changed on another, then put back mine(wireless)

the problem got solved!))

Message 51 of 54
jimenezj146

I'm suffering the same issue in Revit 2020.  Both mouse I've tried are wireless.  Going to switch to wired mouse. see what happens. 

Message 52 of 54
shafky

it worked for me. simply restarted the 3ds max and open up the same scene again. problem happened to me when I open different scale units scenes repeatedly or both at once. not always, but found the issue only once and now solved.
using 3ds max 2023.1
Message 53 of 54
gary_jay_smith
in reply to: shafky

The year is 2023. An individual who was having this same movement and inability to undo moves, while using his brand new 3ds max 2024, read through this whole thread about super mice and mighty mouse and space king and whatever,.. to find that no one had a solution.

Jokes aside, restarting Max worked for me. I have no idea why it started, but man did it mess up my model. If the issue comes back or persists, I'll troubleshoot it and report back, as quality assurance and quality control used to be my bread and butter.

Message 54 of 54
RobH2

Yea, the runaway movement does occur now and then in Max 2024. It's pretty infrequent for me now as I've learned to make sure that my hand is not anywhere near my Space Pilot prior to moving, scaling, etc. It seems to only happen if I go to move an object and I have even the lightest touch on the puck. 

Unfortunately, 2024 was released with the most bugs I've seen in a long time so some of it might be fixed if we can get another patch. The 2024.1 patch solved a few things but still left a lot on the table. It might be good to reach out to 3DConnexion with a post or email as well. I'm not entirely sure it's Autodesk's fault. Some of or all of the solution may lie in 3DConnection's court. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report