Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving/Rotating/Scaling too fast

53 REPLIES 53
Message 1 of 54
juhapeh
13973 Views, 53 Replies

Moving/Rotating/Scaling too fast

I have problem with moving objects. When I grab an object and start moving it, object moves sometimes 10x or 100x faster than mouse. Couple millimeters of mouse movement and the object is moved far away from the screen. There is the same problem also with the rotate (small movement and object is spinning around and around) and also with the scaling. Most annoying thing is, that even undo doesn't work, so when you try the move something one meter and end result is that the object is moving 1700 meters away, undo doesn't bring it back. Restarting the program helps sometimes, but after a while problem comes back.

setup: 3DsMAX Design 2014 sp5, two screens, Quadro K2100M, Win7 64bit

53 REPLIES 53
Message 21 of 54
RobH2
in reply to: Anonymous

I hear you. I have several problems with Max that I don't think are
SpacePilot related. I've spoken to my reseller. I think that this release of
Max is flawed and felt that a reduction in my subscription fee was
justified. They didn't agree. I'm all for paying for a good product. But,
I've been using Max since it was 3D Studio and the 2015 release is flawed.
It upsets me that there is no "guaranteed of quality" and that we must "pay
or get out." Let's hope someone addresses the issues.

--------------------------

NVision4D

Rob Holmes

Baltimore, MD

410-377-6748

NVision4D.com

--All rights reserved. Copyright 2014 C NVision4D.

No image may be used without written

authorization from Rob Holmes or NVision4D--

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 22 of 54
Anonymous

well, I had probably find some solution. It doesn't fully solve the problem but minimalize amount of appearance of the issue.

I had this problem with older 3d connexion drivers too. But it was not so horrible since I knew when I can touch space pilot and when I can't.

Problem with new drivers is the absence of any cap filtering. Sensors are sensitive and there is always some jittering.

To enable filtering: Go to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\3DsMax.xml

increase three values called "Deadband"  Value of 50 works fine for me.

Hope it will help somebody..

Message 23 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: RobH2

Agreed.

Just exploring version 2015. I'm finding it good and I can see some nice improvements. I'm sure I will find some issues as always 😞

Look at my previous post, I've found some workaround how to minimaze the crazy translating issue..

Message 24 of 54
RobH2

I will try the cap filtering and report back. Thanks for the tip.

Update:

My '3DsMax.xml' file does not have 'Deadband' in it at all. Is that something you added?

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 25 of 54
Anonymous

What driver version do you have installed?

I have 3DxWare 10 version 10.1.4

Have a look on my file. It should be there, I did not add anything, only edited.

xml

Message 26 of 54
RobH2

I have 10.0.22 installed. I'll try the new version with your suggestion.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 27 of 54
RobH2

It looks like there is a difference in .xml files depending on the product you have. Looks like you have a "3D Mouse." I have a "Space Pilot." I don't have 'deadband' in mine. Here it is below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<AppCfg Default="false" xmlns="" CfgFormatVersion="1.1" ThisFileVersion="1.0" xml:space="preserve">
  <AppInfo>
    <Name>STR_3DSMAX</Name>
    <ExecutableName>3dsmax.exe</ExecutableName>
    <ApplicationIcon>3dsmax.ico</ApplicationIcon>
    <Transport>s80</Transport>
  </AppInfo>
  <CfgProperties>
    <InheritsFrom>STR_3DSMAX</InheritsFrom>
    <Access/>
  </CfgProperties>
  <Settings><OverallScale>0.48</OverallScale></Settings>
  <Devices>
    <Device>
      <Name>SpacePilot</Name>
      <VendorID>46d</VendorID>
      <ProductID>c625</ProductID>
      <AxisFilter>None</AxisFilter>
      <CurrentButtonBank>Default</CurrentButtonBank>

<ButtonBank Default="true"><Name>STR_DEFAULT_BUTTONBANK</Name><ID>Default</ID><Button><Input><ActionID>HIDButton_12</ActionID></Input><Output><ActionID>Driver_KB_Ctrl</ActionID></Output></Button><Button><Input><ActionID>HIDButton_14</ActionID></Input><Output><ActionID>Driver_KB_Shift</ActionID></Output></Button><Button><Input><ActionID>HIDButton_13</ActionID></Input><Output><ActionID>Driver_KB_Alt</ActionID></Output></Button><Button><Input><ActionID>HIDButton_19</ActionID></Input><Output><ActionID>Driver_Toggle_3DxNumPad</ActionID></Output></Button><Button><Input><ActionID>HIDButton_6</ActionID></Input><Output><ActionID>ALT+W</ActionID></Output></Button><Button><Input><ActionID>HIDButton_20</ActionID></Input><Output><ActionID>P</ActionID></Output></Button><Button><Input><ActionID>HIDButton_5</ActionID></Input><Output><ActionID>CTRL+Y</ActionID></Output></Button><Button><Input><ActionID>HIDButton_1</ActionID></Input><Output><ActionID>Escape</ActionID></Output></Button><Button><Input><ActionID>HIDButton_2</ActionID></Input><Output><ActionID>Q</ActionID></Output></Button><Button><Input><ActionID>HIDButton_3</ActionID></Input><Output><ActionID>W</ActionID></Output></Button><Button><Input><ActionID>HIDButton_4</ActionID></Input><Output><ActionID>E</ActionID></Output></Button></ButtonBank><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_X</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_X</ActionID><Reversed>true</Reversed><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Z</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Z</ActionID><Reversed>true</Reversed><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Y</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Y</ActionID><Reversed>true</Reversed><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rz</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rz</ActionID><Reversed>true</Reversed><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rx</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rx</ActionID><Reversed>true</Reversed><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Ry</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Ry</ActionID><Reversed>true</Reversed><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis></Device>
  <Device><Name>Standard 3D Mouse</Name><VendorID>0</VendorID><ProductID>0</ProductID><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_X</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_X</ActionID><Reversed>true</Reversed><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Y</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Y</ActionID><Reversed>true</Reversed><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Z</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Z</ActionID><Reversed>true</Reversed><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rx</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rx</ActionID><Reversed>true</Reversed><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Ry</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Ry</ActionID><Reversed>true</Reversed><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rz</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rz</ActionID><Reversed>true</Reversed><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><AxisFilter>None</AxisFilter><CurrentButtonBank></CurrentButtonBank></Device></Devices>
<MacroTable><MacroEntry><ID>P</ID><Sequence><KeyPress>13</KeyPress><KeyRelease>13</KeyRelease></Sequence></MacroEntry><MacroEntry><ID>0x0</ID><Sequence><KeyPress>0</KeyPress><KeyRelease>0</KeyRelease></Sequence></MacroEntry><MacroEntry><ID>CTRL+Z</ID><Sequence><KeyPress>E0</KeyPress><KeyPress>1D</KeyPress><KeyRelease>1D</KeyRelease><KeyRelease>E0</KeyRelease></Sequence></MacroEntry><MacroEntry><ID>CTRL+Y</ID><Sequence><KeyPress>E0</KeyPress><KeyPress>1C</KeyPress><KeyRelease>1C</KeyRelease><KeyRelease>E0</KeyRelease></Sequence></MacroEntry><MacroEntry><ID>Escape</ID><Sequence><KeyPress>29</KeyPress><KeyRelease>29</KeyRelease></Sequence></MacroEntry><MacroEntry><ID>Q</ID><Sequence><KeyPress>14</KeyPress><KeyRelease>14</KeyRelease></Sequence></MacroEntry><MacroEntry><ID>W</ID><Sequence><KeyPress>1A</KeyPress><KeyRelease>1A</KeyRelease></Sequence></MacroEntry><MacroEntry><ID>E</ID><Sequence><KeyPress>8</KeyPress><KeyRelease>8</KeyRelease></Sequence></MacroEntry><MacroEntry><ID>ALT+W</ID><Sequence><KeyPress>E2</KeyPress><KeyPress>1A</KeyPress><KeyRelease>1A</KeyRelease><KeyRelease>E2</KeyRelease></Sequence></MacroEntry></MacroTable></AppCfg>

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 28 of 54
Anonymous

well that's strange, is it realy xml file from the path I specified before?

Is'nt it from 3dconnexion in program files?

I've got Space pilot too

Message 29 of 54
Anonymous

I've tried to use your xml instead of mine and it works.

My suggestion is to use mine xml and set it up for your settings

Message 30 of 54
Anonymous

this is the response from 3d connexion:

The SpacePilot is a legacy device (http://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/39) and the last official driver is from March 2013.
Therefore the newest versions of the applications that need a plugin (like SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Inventor) are not supported with this driver version.
You have to either update to a more recent model of the 3D mouse or install the latest driver for the SpaceMouse Pro the 3DxSoftware Version 3.18.0
We haven’t removed the support for the SpacePilot from our newer drivers, but we haven’t tested it very thoroughly. That means if a problem occurs there is no official support.

fine way to get rid of the problem Smiley Frustrated

really don't know how to react

Message 31 of 54
vincent
in reply to: juhapeh

I had a lot of trouble with this too.

Using the space mouse at the same time I was moving an object made it go into some weird acceleration mode. Undo was not available anymore.

With SP2 the problem seems to be solved?

Regards

Message 32 of 54
RobH2
in reply to: vincent

Unfortunately, SP2 in Max 2015 Design and Windows 7 Pro has not solved the problem. I have a Space Pilot. Once the extreme acceleration starts and the Undo's stop, it's all over until I close and relaunch.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 33 of 54
Anonymous

I wonder if the new space pilot has this problem? Its been a while since its happened to me but I know that when it was happening often, it reduced productivity significantly. At that point, the price of a new one would have been worth it.

I would also be interested (on another note) if the new spaace pilot is as nice to use as the old one. ...Button layout being different and all....

Dean

Message 34 of 54
RobH2

Yes, I wonder too. But, I think they've ruined the Space Pilot by making it too feature rich. The simplicity and usability of the original Space Pilot has been lost in bells and whistles. I've resisted buying a new one because I'm sure I'm going to miss the original one so much.

My original Space Pilot works perfectly with Max 2014. So the problem is definately in the Max 2015 code somewhere. It's a memory leak or something. It's very frustrating but not worth the $400+ for a new Space Pilot yet.

It's frustrating that they have stopped supporting the Space Pilot to force us to buy new products. There are still alot of them out there and I think it's greedy when companies do that. If the same happened with cars we'd all have to buy a new car every 5 years. Fortunately there are laws that require that car parts are available for decades. The device is robust and well made. Making them obsolete before they wear out is a poor business model.

Aside from that, I'm not sure we'll ever solve it because of the termination of support for the Space Pilot. Autodesk is going to issue the same statement, "we cannot offer support for products that are no longer supported by the manufacturer."

I think it may be time to grab our ankles and rewared 3DC for their lack of consideration.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 35 of 54
Anonymous

Well, your a luck one then. My space pilot had this issue from 2013 forward. I agree, it is frustrating when a product is no longer supported by a company even when its still working for the most part, but I think your analogy is flawed. Yes, you can get replacement parts for cars decades after it originally rolled off the assembly line. We are talking about software support.

New cars with the touch screen interface for GPS, and internal controls have software updates from the manufacturer to make it work better, and remove bugs. They will undoubtedly come out with updates for 5 years after the car is made, but not decades down the road. Manufacturers can't afford to support every product they make for an indefinate amount of time. Having a brother who writes code and myself being in a manufacturing industry, I understand the decision.

The space pilot was (best I can tell) released in 2006. The product is at least 8 years old. Alot has changed in 8 years...O.S's hardware....sometimes merging old tech with new tech isn't possible. I dont know if this is the reason they decided to stop supporting it, but it very well could be. Or maybe they just wanted to liven up sales a little. Either way...its fine. Thats the free market we live in.

Anyway, just trying to provide a different angle to the situation.

Message 36 of 54
RobH2

No, I appreciate your input and perspective. Sure, I could have used a better analogy. I didn't epect it to be taken so literally. I was rushing, but the point I was trying to make is that companies too often stop supporting technology that is not obsolete yet.

I think the compnents in the original Space Pilot are sufficiently simple that a software update would not be incompatible with current OSs and techlonogies. Sure, I've gotten a good life out of mine and I'll have to replace it soon it appears. I'm not sure yet if the problems are occuring with the new Space Pilot Pro or not.

I'm not going to replace it until I can determine that. I'd rather not spend $400 to buy the latest version of the issue. I'll keep an eye on this thread but I think it's become a sounding board (I'm to blame as much as anyone) instead of a soltuion.

I truly don't think there is a solution given we no longer have software support for the old Space Pilot. I'll keep using it until Max 2016 comes out and if I still have issues, I'll replace it. I can live with the occasional "acceleration, etc." for now. And, I still use Max 2014 a lot and it's fine.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 37 of 54
RobH2

I had to bite the bullet. This runaway acceleration issue is making it impossible to work. I've ordered a SpaceMousePro and will report back if it solves the issue. Actually, I'll report back either way. I receive it tomorrow.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 38 of 54
RobH2

As much as it irritates me that I had to toss my Space Pilot and buy a new model I have to report that I've been working for 3 hours now and have not had any runaway acceleration or loss of undos in Max 2015 Design. The issue appears to have been caused by the Space Pilot and the termination of support for it by 3DConnexion.

So, if you get tired of the issues, you may need to do what I did and pony up the cash.

I do like the new device. All the buttons are configurable and the 4 primary buttons can each hold 4 commands, which gives you 16 custom buttons. So, you give up the nice LCD screen but if you hold a button, the commands come up like a HUD much like the Wacom does now and you can just choose what you want. It works well.

One thing I never liked about the Space Pilot was the lack of thought about tactile feedback. The buttons across the top were all the same slick plastic and it was impossible to tell which one to touch without looking. I actually took a dremel and routed out a groove every other button so I could at least braile my way across it crudely. That issue is solved in the SpaceMousePro. The buttons are uniquely shaped and spaced out so you can truly work without looking.

Given the improvements and solving of the acceleration issues, I'm pleased with the new device. RIP Space Pilot...

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 39 of 54
RobH2

I realized in the post above I didn't mention what mouse I purchased. It was the Space Mouse Pro. So, this is the last check in and then this thread is done. It's now been two days and I have at least another 20 hours in Max with the new Space Mouse Pro is working perfectly. I have had no recurrence of acceleration and loss of Undos.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 40 of 54
juha_h

I have SpaceMouse Pro (firmware v.4.34) Newest drivers (3DxWare 10 version 10.1.4 and 3DxWinCore version 17.1.4.10702) and problem still exist. So even a new 3Dmouse isn't the solution.. (also tried with SpaceNavigator and SpaceExplorer)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report