Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving/Rotating/Scaling too fast

53 REPLIES 53
Message 1 of 54
juhapeh
13925 Views, 53 Replies

Moving/Rotating/Scaling too fast

I have problem with moving objects. When I grab an object and start moving it, object moves sometimes 10x or 100x faster than mouse. Couple millimeters of mouse movement and the object is moved far away from the screen. There is the same problem also with the rotate (small movement and object is spinning around and around) and also with the scaling. Most annoying thing is, that even undo doesn't work, so when you try the move something one meter and end result is that the object is moving 1700 meters away, undo doesn't bring it back. Restarting the program helps sometimes, but after a while problem comes back.

setup: 3DsMAX Design 2014 sp5, two screens, Quadro K2100M, Win7 64bit

53 REPLIES 53
Message 2 of 54
luxxeon
in reply to: juhapeh

Might be your System Unit Scale, and not your Display Unit Scale.  Check the Origin, and Distance from Origin settings.  Altering these could result in similar issues.

in reply to: luxxeon

Thanks luxxeon, but that isn't the reason. Display Unit scale and System units are both same (meters) and models are reasonambe sized (couple hundred meters) and origin is middle of the model. I'm workin with two different computers and only one of them is suffering this problem, so I think that models and unit setups are ok. 

Message 4 of 54
StephenMF

Try ans switch mouse between the two computers...

Stephen

Enjoy.

Message 5 of 54
luxxeon

Setting system units to meters might not be causing this particular issue, but I know trying to model with system units set to meters can get difficult.  You may experience a lot of viewport clipping, and render issues, because many things will then just be too small for Max to deal with.  Unless you're modeling very large objects to scale all the time.

Anyway, try switching the mouse, make sure your drivers are up to date, etc., to rule out hardware issues.

in reply to: luxxeon

I'm workin mainly with Landscape architecture designs and all references etc. use meters as units. Problem came with my new workstation, and this is first time I'm suffering this kind of problem (in six years of 'professional' modelling). I think it's bug in program or some kind of driver or hardware problem, but I have no clue where it could be. I have tried three different mice (Logitech, Microsoft, Dell) with no luck. All drivers are up to date.

Message 7 of 54
Steve_Curley

Certainly in the past there have been issues with Mouse drivers. Unless it's a wireless mouse which really needs its own drivers your best bet is to remove them and use the default ones built into windows. I've used Logitech mice for more years than I care to remember with no issues at all.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 8 of 54
Pyro777

This used to happen to me often. Well, it seemed to go in spirts. The only way I found to get rid of the problem is to save your work and restart max.

Curious....when it happens to you, are you able to "undo" to move the objects back in place? "Undo" would never work for me when MAX was freaking out.

Dean

Max 2019
Win 10 64-bit; Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20 GHz; 64 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
V-Ray 4.02.05.00001
Message 9 of 54
juhapeh
in reply to: Pyro777

Undo doesn't work me neither.

I suppose that 3DsMAX thinks that it is moving object just couple meters, even object is moving in model space hundreds of meters, and when you undo MAX brings object back just some meters and not whole movement. 

Restarting is only solution that I have found, but restarting program every 15-60 minutes is really frustrating.

Message 10 of 54
Pyro777

Agreed, every 15-60 minutes is ridiculous. Thats about how often I had to restart when it was happening to me on a more regular basis. It got so bad, I started keeping 3 or 4 instanced of MAX open just so when I close my "working" version I could open my file in a fresh version...waiting for me. It hasn't happened to me in a while.

I coudlnt prove it but I almost think that it was something in my files. I don't know. I couldn't get it to reproduce on command. Very frustrating, thats all I know.

Good luck,

Dean

Max 2019
Win 10 64-bit; Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20 GHz; 64 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
V-Ray 4.02.05.00001
Message 11 of 54
RobH2
in reply to: Pyro777

This has been happening with me in Max 2015 since I received it. It's almost unusable. Closing and reopening solves it for a few moves then it's back.

I'm not new to Max. I've had it since it was 3D Studio (Kinetix) so I have diagnosed, uninstalled and tweaked it hundreds of ways over the years to get things working. Max 2015 is just simply a bad release. It has so many problems.

I asked my reseller if Autodesk stood behind their product as Max 2015 has a host of issues that makes it unusable. I have my subscription payment due soon and we haven't been able to incorporate Max 2015 into our workflow since we received it in April. We are still using 2014 because it doesn't suffer the issues. They said no, too bad, pay your bill. That irritates me a bit. Everyone else in the world has some sort of guarantee on the quality of their product. I hope a patch someday fixes it.

Aside from that little soapbox, I'd still like to know what causes this massive acceleration and subsequent loss of 'undos.' It has nothing to do with scale. I've tried every combination and it's all the same issue.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 12 of 54
juhapeh
in reply to: RobH2

Last week my other computer started to suffer this problem also. Are you using 3DConnexion 3D-mouses?

I think it's not display problem, becouse other computer has Quadro with performance drivers and other one has GTX670 "gaming card", it's not mouse problem neither. Only common hardware between these two computers is 3DConnexion mouse. (both MAX2014 sp5)

I have one new example. I draw a sphere, use array to copy sphere (instances) 10 times and select them all. When I start to move spheres some of them move with different speeds.

Message 13 of 54
RobH2

Yes, I use a Space Pilot. But it's never affected any other release. I guess the 3DConnexion driver for Max 2015 could be causing the problem. I searched their forum and didn't find any reference to a problem.

I guess I could uninstall the Space Pilot, reboot and try things. To be honest, I don't even remember how to navigate without it. It's going to be painful to say the least. I'll give it a try though.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 14 of 54
juhapeh

Now I have uninstalled and installed Display drivers - no luck

uninstalled and installed 3Dconnexxion drivers no luck

tried diffrent mices, one display setting, two display setting etc. and nothing works. Problem is getting worst and worst. If I try to move object and touch 3D connexion "mouse" problem starts instantly, if I don't touch, problem happens randomly. If object moves/rotates/scales too fast, it's impossible to undo movement. And now this is happening preatty much all the time, making working with 3DsMAX almost impossible.

Message 15 of 54
RobH2

I still have the same issues but it doesn't seem to be tied to the 3D Mouse.
I can touch the mouse and it does not trigger the acceleration. The
acceleration just seems to start randomly for no particular reason. I think
it's some sort of leak.

--------------------------

NVision4D

Rob Holmes

Baltimore, MD

410-377-6748

NVision4D.com

--All rights reserved. Copyright 2014 C NVision4D.

No image may be used without written

authorization from Rob Holmes or NVision4D--

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 16 of 54
chroma123

Did anyone sort this one out? I am having similar trouble. I have always been bothered by the objects moving too fast from now and then (restart needed), but in max2015 it seems like it is happening all the time. I am using 3dconnexion spacenavigator.

What I've discovered, is that in earlier max versions I could start moving my spacenavigator while I was still holding down the mousebutton moving an object, and that without any trouble. In 2015 it seems like it moves my object corresponding to the distance I am moving my spacenavigator while holding the mousebutton down and moving an object.

It's really bugging my workflow.
Message 17 of 54
juhapeh
in reply to: chroma123

Still no solution, but its same problem. You can work with max even a bit if you don't touch spacemouse when you are moving objects. When you try to move objects and scene at the same time working goes impossible. Bug happens once a while if you don't touch Spacemouse and every time if you touch Spacemouse.

Is there any official way to report this problem? I'm working multinational design office that has thousands of employees and thousands of Autodesk Licenses. My Subscription Center doesn't work anymore (I think it's some kind of problem with network license serial  I cave when I created the account) and I haven't yet solved that problem with our helpdesk.. 

Message 18 of 54
chroma123

juhapeh: I believe we should go here and report it: http://www.3dconnexion.eu/service/technical-support/. I think it has something to do with the 3dconnexion drivers, since it got worse with their new platform driver. I am filing a case there now. Let me know your findings.

Message 19 of 54
chroma123

Ok I need to correct this last post, because I installed the legacy drivers from 3dconnexion, those who used to work, but it gives the same result in max15. So I guess autodesk is the one to direct the bug report to.
Message 20 of 54
synthillusio

Hi 
I have the same problem.

It was used to happen to me also in Max 2013. The situation when it surely happened was like this:

select object, open align dialog, move viewport with SpacePilot, align.

Than transforming the object went crazy.

This issue happens in max 2015 in almost any scenario. Even in unwrap window.

I already sent a request to 3d connexion.

So come on, let's start with bombarding autodesk and 3d connexion. Under this conditions these products are unusable! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report