Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Tool problem

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Matt_Cooke
1462 Views, 2 Replies

Move Tool problem

It seems that there is some inteference between the modeling toolkit and the old move tool, which is frustrating as I can't get the functionality that I need with the modeling tool kit move tool.

The problem is this.

Using the move tool, I want to set a custom axis to an edge (as in Maya 2012). Holding down W then left click mariking menu used to bring up the Axis>Set to Edge option and I could happily use this custom axis.

In 2015, this option is gone completely from the marking menu and I need to select the old move tool (not using the w hot key, as this selects the modeling tool kit move tool instead) then in the tool settings menu select the set to edge option, which is a really clunky and time consuming work around.

Using the new marking menu I can still set a custom axis to an edge using the Align Along>Adjust Pivot and then aiming z down the edge that I want. This is not as intuative, but kind of works, but the problem is that as soon as I hold the V key to snap to a vertex I loose the custom axis as the tool reverts to the old move tool! This makes it impossible to set a custom axis and then snap to a vertex using the modeling toolkit.

Am I missing something here, or is this functionallity not availible via the modeling toolkit?

I would really appreciate help in this matter, as seting axis to edges and then snapping to vertex is something that I use all the time!

Many thanks,

Matt

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pixelPackRat
in reply to: Matt_Cooke

This may not be as much of as solution as it is a workaround, but have you considered making a custom marking menu?
Message 3 of 3
Matt_Cooke
in reply to: pixelPackRat

Thanks for your reply. I had not considered that, but I will look into it, although I'm still hoping that there is a solution/fix. Seems like a bit of a step backwards in functionallity to me, unless I'm somehow missing something...

Regards,

Matt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report