Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling thickness using push tool and weld edges tool - not working as expected

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
940 Views, 4 Replies

Modeling thickness using push tool and weld edges tool - not working as expected

I've been following a couple of Vitaly Bulgarov lectures on Gnomon, he goes over his process for modelling thickness in XSI quite quickly and I've failed over and over to get the same results as he does. Is there something I'm missing? The process I'm following is below:

Create poly-mesh

Duplicate polygons from mesh

Push new polygons 'x' distance

Invert surface normals of first polymesh

Select border edgeloops of both polymeshes

Duplicate selected edgeloops

Weld edges

XSI_thickness.jpg

Every time I do this the weld edges step causes things to go haywire while Vitaly succeeds beautifully. Any help?

Cheers,

Jeremy

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I worked it out. It was to do with the way I was inverting the normals. I was using Modify > Component > Set User Normals > Invert when I should have been using Modify > Poly. Mesh > Invert Polygons.

I hope this saves someone the frustration I've gone through!

Cheers,

Jeremy

Message 3 of 5
Dunndor
in reply to: Anonymous

its not working for me. Could you please help me out 🙂

Message 4 of 5
EricofAZ
in reply to: Dunndor

I just got 2014 and have not played with the add thickness tool yet, but in 2009, I used to just roll up my sleeves and got to Modify-Polymesh-Add/Edit Polygon Tool and start building polys from point to point. 

You have to merge the two first, and delete the original (or freeze the new merged object) and then you can go counter clockwise between points on both objects to build your polygons.  Best obviously to work with low resolution.  And yes, pay attention to your normals before merging.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: EricofAZ

Or you could just select the border edges (all light blue edges), right click in the editor window and choose "Bridge Boundary Edges" in the pop up dialog. You may have to adjust the distance in the upcoming property dialog though....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report