Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling a baseboard

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
TheRedSnake
1154 Views, 5 Replies

Modeling a baseboard

Hi everyone!So I started making a baseboard(the border between a floor and a wall) using the line tool and I'm not sure how to fill the hole in the center.Any help is appreciated!baseboard.jpg

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ekahennequet
in reply to: TheRedSnake

Hi. Don't create your shape like you would a wine glass profile the way 3ds Max tutorials shows. That type of profile works better with models with revolutions when used with Lathe modifier. Instead, create a single shape that is closed. (see attached) It looks like you created two separate shapes. If you close the spline, the center will be automatically closed. You can then use Sweep or Extrude modifier.

To close your existing splines: You can attach the two splines and weld the vertices to close the spline.

When you have an open section, click-and-drag the two open ends in Sub-object Vertex using Connect, or select and "Close" in Sub-object Spline mode.

To close the spline during creation: While you're creating your shape and you want to close, click the first shape again to close the spline. You will be prompted with a dialog.

Message 3 of 6
TheRedSnake
in reply to: ekahennequet

Thanks hor replying!It is actually one shape,all the splines were closed(the vertices were connected).Then I went to the "Rendering" group of the modify tab and checked "enable in render" and "enable in viewport",then I ckecked "Rectangular"and I adjusted the length and width to my liking,and finally converted it to an editable mesh and the result is the image in my first post
Message 4 of 6
ekahennequet

Hi. That's an interesting method, but in this case, you're making your task harder by using the spline's Render group. Instead, after you've created your shape, make sure "Enable in Render" and "Enable in Viewport" are turned off. You can then apply "Extrude" modifier, enter the value of extrusion, and check "Cap End" and "Cap Start."

Sweep modifier is another option that you can use with your profile shape. However, you will need another spline object that indicates the direction of the extrusion. It works similarly to Loft objects. Create a line object that basically follows the direction of the extrusion and apply the Sweep modifier. Then you can pick your custom shape that you created.

More Info below:

Extrude Modifier

Sweep Modifier

Modeling with Splines

Part 1

Part 2

Message 5 of 6
TheRedSnake
in reply to: ekahennequet

Yes!That's it!Thank you sooo much dude 🙂
Message 6 of 6
ekahennequet

You're welcome. Good luck. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report