Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model with spline and surfaces modifier problem

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
streetboybeo
990 Views, 3 Replies

Model with spline and surfaces modifier problem

Hi, i'm new to 3ds max and i'm learning to create a hand. i draw the outliner of the hand by using spline and create surface by using surface modifier. The problem is when i use surface modifier, the hand has some black lines like the image below.

Screenshot_112114_023328_PM_112114_023600_PM.jpg

Back face culling OFF, there are some wierd dark lines on surface 

Screenshot_112114_023406_PM.jpg

Back face culling ON

When i turn on back face culling, i know that it is spline normal problem. But, i dont know how to fix it. i've tried reversed spline command, but it affect also the face that dont need to be fix.

pls tell me the way how to fix this issue and the way to avoid this issue, thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ekahennequet
in reply to: streetboybeo

Hi, just apply the Normal modifier on top of your Surface modifier and check "Unify Normals" and uncheck "Flip Normals." Leave "Flip Normals" checked if your entire object is inside out.

This often happens depending on the direction of your splines and if you have many broken splines that make up the spline cage.

Message 3 of 4
streetboybeo
in reply to: ekahennequet

wow, this is much much faster than my way. I'm sorry about my very late reply. Thank you so much!

Message 4 of 4
ekahennequet
in reply to: streetboybeo

You're welcome. Your hand model looks very nice. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report