Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model/texture Render issue in game! Help!

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
mrfrankl
310 Views, 1 Reply

Model/texture Render issue in game! Help!

I hope this is the right area to post this and someone may have some info for me. First of all, I'm a complete knoob with 3Ds max, so any terminology or abbreviations I won't understand! I'm also using 3DS Max 2012. Here is the background on my issue:

I'm try to create Squall Leonhart from the game FFVIII and add him into Skyrim. Right now, I'm on making the pants for the character. I am able to get the pants in game and mostly working, but am having weird texture/model rendering issues and am wondering if it's an issue with my 3DS Max model setup, or if it's an issue with the model setup in the game.

The model looks great in 3DS Max, but upon loading in game (or other application like NIFSkope or the Creation Kit which let you edit things for the game), there are weird transparency issues with the belt and buckle portions of the pants. Part of the pants model wants to render above the belt/buckles, and part of the belt model wants to render over the buckles. This rendering issue worsens with further zoom.

Here are the pants in 3DS Max and they seem to be fine:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82845272@N07/29901269816/in/dateposted-public/

Here is a picture showing the issue in NIFSkope (which is worse in game as well):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82845272@N07/29308634204/in/dateposted-public/

I zoomed out further and further (the resized the image to show the transparency/rendering issues).

When in game, parts of the character model (such as a hand) that cover the crotch portion of the pants will become invisible, and the pants model will render over it. It's like something from the model is telling small sections of my model to have the top priority in rendering and to show above anything else.

With my model, the pants, red belt, and buckles are three individual objects. I tried "attaching" the objects so they were counted as one, but I still had this issue. I know there are several option when attaching objects in 3DS max and I don't know what they mean, but I tried several times using each option with no effect. This issue doesn't seem to be texture related either because no matter what textures and setting I have applied (or if I have no textures applied), the issue is still there.

Is there some sort of UV face priority setting for the model that could be applied to individual faces that cause any object in front to not be rendered?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I attached my current 3DS Max file for the pants if someone wanted to look at it to see if I have something incorrectly setup!

Edit: I don't know how to embed images on these forums or if you even can so I hope the links I posted work!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
mrfrankl
in reply to: mrfrankl

Someone on the nexusforumns was able to help me with my issue!

I've never weight painted before and I relied on SkinWrap to do all that work for me. Something was messed up with the Skin wrapping so I had to go back and fix it. I still don't quite understand weight painting, so I'm going to need to look up some things to help me out with that, but I was able to fix this issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report