Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Methods to make ogive shapes?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
837 Views, 2 Replies

Methods to make ogive shapes?

Hello Autodesk community!

I want to model the "bell" (nozzle) of the Vulcain 2 rocket engine...

...but I'm new to 3D modelling, and I have a potentially noob question: How do I make ogives in 3DS Max?

I'm assuming a good way to do this is with Splines and the Lathe modifier, like the glass tutorials...But while glasses can be satisfactorily made "eyeballing it", I would like a (more) mathematically accurate way to doing ogives (which I can then use to make the rocket engine's bell), if possible.

If you can provide me with guides or explanations on how to do ogives, that will be enough, but in favor of getting further instruction in advance/without further question threads, you are welcome to also give instructions or links to guides to any technique that will help me learn more about repeated conical shapes...My objective is to learn enough to achieve something like this:

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Brock_Lafond
in reply to: Anonymous

Modeling the warheard won't be an easy task.

Get as much photo reference as you can. Based on that reference go about modeling things logically.

Set up primitive objects to block out major forms and then start detailing.

A lot of the fine piping detail is easily modeled with splines that have thickness applied.

Model what is seen and don't worry about all of the super fine things. Much can be done with bump maps.

Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Brock_Lafond

Sorry if I misled your answer when I included my overall objective, but the question's main purprose is to learn to do ogives mathematically/procedurally...Probably with Splines+Lathe...Because I expect to be doing them a lot in the future, and having a standardized technique that will give me production speed and mathematical accuracy on the ogive shape seems like something that would be doable, and it would certainly be better than doing it "eyeballed" every time...

Most of the minor details on the bell (/nozzle) also follow a pattern (around the center axis)...And there is probably a way to also do them procedurally...But I asked that as an extra to the main question in order to possibly save everyone's time (Mine by not having to ask separately, and helpers' by not having to answer separately if they know how to do it)...

The minor details and piping above the bell (/nozzle), on the other hand, are something that won't usually have a common pattern, and are where modelling visually by reference (which I am refering to as "eyeballing it") is appropriate...

Don't take offense by this, but your answer is not really helpful...I already know it can be done by mannually and visually shaping a primitive using a reference, and that's exactly why I asked for something different.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report