Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messed up Topology

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
mrjojo
677 Views, 1 Reply

Messed up Topology

Hi , ive created this simple building and used boolean to cut some areas. now i got a really messed up topology which makes it real hard for texturing matters. how do i fix those edges highlitened in the picture. i want to make them as one solid quad rather than having multiple triangle shaped faces. would greatly appreciate any tips/advice. thanks 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Steve_Curley
in reply to: mrjojo

You can't make that into one solid quad - either one multi-sided poly or multiple quads, but not both at the same time. Looking at the central highlighted section, select all the polys above the arch (assuming you want that section to have a single material applied to it), with them selected, add a UVWMap Modifier set to Planar. You should then be able to apply a material to the object and have it aligned correctly.

While it might be nice to have regular quads (and in most cases a much better idea) for an object like that it is less important, and careful use of Mapping Modifiers should give you the results you need.

You will need to do some reading on UVW Mapping, Map Channels, Multi SubObject Materials etc in order to fully texture that building.

Textured Arch

It would be possible to eliminate the majority of triangles, but it would take a while to do each one - you would need to consider the cost (in time) vs the benefits (which would be small in this instance).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report