Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Me vs XGen

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Elcono
801 Views, 2 Replies

Me vs XGen

Hello everyone!

I hope you are having a great day!

So, I have been struggling with Xgen for a while now. After watching several tutorials, reading through the manual and spending a lot of time trying to figure Xgen out trial/error style, I am still having trouble with the very basic workflow.

I´ll start with the basic issues I am having right now and will be adding more to the list.

1. The size and placement of guides and primitives.

What I have noticed is that the guides do not always correspond with the size of the mesh. In my case (trying to create long hair for a female character) the mesh I import is usually too small and the guides that I add with Xgen therefore end up being super big so I have to scale the mesh up trying to guess what would be the right size.

This causes another issue to user who for some reason just need everything in the scene to be big. The guides and generated primitives are then too small. 

So:

Small mesh - too big guides and primitives

Big mesh - too small guides and primitives

Is there a way to make the guides and the primitives automatically correspond with the size of the mesh?

I was trying to follow this tutorial http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Maya/file...

I was following the video in the "Modify and shape guides for the base hairstyle" and around 1:35 they generate a first preview with just the basic settings increasing density to 20 so there are more hair primitives.

Now, this is what MY preview with basic settings (with density set to 20) looks like: (see attachment)

Quite a difference isn´t it.

Can somebody please tell me why my primitives are NOTHING like those in the video and some of them do not follow the guides, which are placed rather close to the scalp?

I´d be very glad for any help I can get.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
adyangyi
in reply to: Elcono

I have the exact same issue. The guides are crazy thick. They are all overlapping together, which is very anoying visually. Hope somebody can lend some help.

Message 3 of 3
dooo
in reply to: Elcono

Hi,

Did youy tried to change the width attribute directly on the guides?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report