Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya symmetry trouble

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mjkrinzman
742 Views, 4 Replies

Maya symmetry trouble

I have recently made the switch from 3ds max to maya, and I can use most of the tools in maya effectively. However one thing I have been having trouble with is symmetry. I Duplicate special, select instance, and change the first box in scale to negative one. I click duplicate special and it creates the object. The new object is symmetrical, but it was created inside the original object. This is probably a silly question with an obvious answer but I cant figure it out.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tdHendrix
in reply to: mjkrinzman

By created inside the object do you mean the duplicate is overlapping the original? If so you need to move its pivot point by holding the 'd' key and snapping it to the center of the model.

Greg Hendrix - Senior Technical Animator
LinkedIn : Twitter
Message 3 of 5
mjkrinzman
in reply to: tdHendrix

Thank you so much for the advice, it worked flawlessly. The only problem I still have is when i select a vertex on one side, it selects the symmetrical vertex and the one behind, selecting 3 instead of 2. 

Message 4 of 5
tdHendrix
in reply to: mjkrinzman

It could be something with your move tool settings. Open up the move tool settings by double clicking the move tool icon that's on the left side of the screen. Make sure Soft Select and Reflection aren't turned on.

If that doesn't help then post a screenshot of what's going on.

Greg Hendrix - Senior Technical Animator
LinkedIn : Twitter
Message 5 of 5
otodomus
in reply to: tdHendrix

This sometimes happens when the pivot is centered to the object, move the pivot to the edge in the direction you want to duplicate and you can have solved your problem, the pivot needs to be in the center of the two objects, original and duplicated, you can translate the pivot as far as you want moved the duplicated object, or as near as you want, if the pivot is located just on the border, then your duplicated object will be closed to it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report