Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya smooth function problem

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
scott.patterson3
780 Views, 2 Replies

Maya smooth function problem

I have a model that I modeled in 3ds max that i exported as an object into maya and then applied a smooth to it inside maya, but after i applied a smooth to it using the default linear settings i got this

http://i.imgur.com/1xIbsRF.png

I have no idea what is causing it to apply that ugly spotted material? Shader? I don't know what it even is.

I have been able to get around this problem using the exponentially setting with subdivision type of OpenSubdiv Catmull-Clark (whatever that means) but this issue I encountered really bugs me. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I'm using maya 2015 by the way

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pshwayka
in reply to: scott.patterson3

Hi Scott,

It almost looks like there are some reversed vertex normals.  Select the model in object mode and click on Display -> Polygons -> Vertex Normals.  You may need to adjust the normals size (in the same menu) so you can see the normals direction indicators better.  Check to make sure none of them are aimed inward.

It is odd that the dark spots don't show up before you apply the linear smooth, but maybe there's something funky going on when you do that...

Message 3 of 3
scott.patterson3
in reply to: pshwayka

Thats it! I displayed vertex normals on the smoothed model and they're all going in different directions, sometimes into the model itself. I displayed vertex normals on the non smoothed model and they were fine. Thanks for the solution

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report