Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maya selection bugs

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1506 Views, 7 Replies

maya selection bugs

I'm going crazy with several bugs in Maya's selection.

First, I suppose this isn't technically a selection bug, but whenever I smooth a mesh, random faces turn black and I see no reason why.

Next, random faces disappear on smoothed meshes, back face culling does NOTHING for this issue.

Finally, whether I can or can't select the faces behind seems to be completely random in orthographic view.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

is your mesh clean?...quads mostly, no flipped normals and no faces inside mesh..? no multiple vertices on each other?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

No, nothing like that. Right now, in the file I'm working on, if I load a fresh new cube, stretch it and smooth it by hitting 3, I immediately start seeing the black faces. The disappearing faces starts happening after it gets much more complicated than that. I'm guessing this is either a bug or something in the settings. Here is a picture:

stuff_is_happening.jpg

That object has no shaders and no holes in it, for some reason it just looks that way.

Off hand, I really hope the creators decide to put a check mark by the backface culling setting at some point, because not knowing if that is on or not without clicking it, is getting annoying. Clicking it doesn't seem to do anything on this issue, but I would still like to know if it's technically on or off.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

i can report the same "bug" here. Smooth Mesh Preview sometimes makes faces black. But not only on smooth Mesh Preview. It happens also if i duplicate a shell inside of af a mesh. I´ve trie´d to make 2 sided lighting "on" but with no effect.

The only workaround that dissolves this problem is to unlock the normal, but then all edges are hard again and you have to harden/soften edges again. I can tell that Maya since Version 2014 gets more buggy and buggy. Maya 2015 is even more bugged than 14. It´s a shame and a dame to work fine with them.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Well, if you get two faces crossed this will most probably create some black graphic... It might also be some settings, like I had some crazy (bug?) that whenever i extruded a pCube which i scaled longer on x-axis before, and then changed the thickness, it would result as a normal cube with many divisions and some long expansions on the side, which i think are the thickness-extrusions plussed to an original shape or something. I would recommend deleting probably the settings after saving your project, and trying again with a completely new mesh...

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

but there arent any faces crossing. I Build a cube, map it and put a texture on it.

Then i switch to faces selection and press "duplicate faces" without seperating the shells. The duplicatet faces turn black from some perspectives. Only unlocking the normals makes the faces well shaded again.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I'm actually doing the same thing now, and having issues selecting the faces from only one side of my sphere. I think your problem has to do something with the uv mapping, so do you mean you are trying to create a duplicate texture to each side of the cube? In the UV texture editor, you should see a cube spread out (all the six sides side to side). Setting each texture to each side one at time with photoshop or other is the easiest way to texture sides of cube. If you texture something harder like a sphere, or possibly like cube that has been scaled on axises, I suggest you to planar map only one face at time again, or in the example of a sphere, you select the faces inside or outside the sphere only from the other half of the shape --> (ll) x. So you texture by importing a photo to your file node in your hypershade? Did you connect the material and file nodes together, with something like a color channel? These are my guesses, I haven't had a problem like that, I just cant select the faces on one side of my sphere, which will automatically lead to messed up UV's.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

But like said, I'm the biggest newbie myself, and I really don't want to waste my time to examples of the book, so I'm all around the place throwing poop into my project like some kind of chimpanzee... Hopely I don't ruin the whole thing myself here, so don't count on me too much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report