Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya real world scale for landscapes and bifrost for beach waves

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
DOM0
1056 Views, 3 Replies

Maya real world scale for landscapes and bifrost for beach waves

I was wondering. if I set my scale to foot(feet) and I know that lenght and width  would be 1 unit for a foot.

Now for inches I take it I set my grid lines every 1.000 and my subdivisions to 12 for 12 inches.

How would I do miles or kilometers for a big scene?

I tried using bitfrost from about 90 feet and 30 feet wide and Maya freezes on me. I have 8GB so i think I need to figure out a big scale for Bitfrost correct? i want to make a beach scene so I need it to be like a miles so i can do a camera animation on things I modeled. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
_sebastian_f
in reply to: DOM0

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-43D655E2-45A3-4FD8-847C-6622AF22995C

theres a topic about units and scaling. basicly whatever you setup in your prefs bifrost considers 1unit as 1meter. you can calculate all the parameters for your scene and change gravity but your better stick to the defaults.
Message 3 of 4
DOM0
in reply to: _sebastian_f

thanks, so if I stick to the defaults should I just scale my scene down? it seems Bifrost can't handle more than like 15 feet in maya. well I was doing 90 and 50 feet but will see.
Message 4 of 4
_sebastian_f
in reply to: DOM0

depends how you want the liquid to behave. if 1 unit equals 1 feet of your model it will be "wrong" in theory. because bifrost behaves like its 1 meter. so you should recalculate gravity etc. 1m = 3,28 feet gives you a gravity of 32.144 i.e. this also goes for density...

thats why i say better scale your scene to meters. so your 90 feet become around 27 m. in any case it should not crash. i tried with 90*50 meter and 3 meter depth and works perfectly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report