Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2014's quad draw and the make object live (magnet icon) problems...

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
nuxe
6822 Views, 9 Replies

Maya 2014's quad draw and the make object live (magnet icon) problems...

Hello,

can anyone please help me with maya 2014's make live magnet icon and quad draw in the new modeling toolkit section. 

I have attached a picture of my make live magnet icon it looks different from what other 2014 users have

( no green brakets around it or any text beside it)

and when i click on it to make an object live and try to use quad draw on it so it draws on the surfaceof the object, i get faces as a result that are on the ground plane as if i made the grid live instead of the object ?!

any idea how to fix this? 

appreciate your help, thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
tyjohnson
in reply to: nuxe

Any luck? I have the same issue.

To clarify, there is no text field to the right of my "Make Live" icon which would otherwise name the object currently "live" (if any).

Clicking the icon would appear to work (turning the selected object green and impossible to select from the viewport) but when I go to place dots on the live surface using quad-draw the dots snap to my grid as if nothing were "live".

I would also like to add that the quad-draw marking menu does not display either.

This is what I DO know; I had all of these issues on my work computer UNTIL we installed service pack 2. but installing service pack 2 and now 3 hasn't done anything to fix these issues for me at home.

I can verify that I am running the service pack by selecting Help>About Maya

Furthermore I have completely uninstalled maya now, blown away my preferences, and re-installed maya 2014 SP3 to find myself no better off. Can someone come to our rescue?

Message 3 of 10
tyjohnson

Update: So today I learned the very important distinction between maya2014-service packs and Maya2014 "Extension"

What we're looking for is Maya "Extension" and it can be downloaded from Autodesk's Subscription Center, provided you have a subscription.

So I'm still a bit confused; am I to believe that I can't use the quad draw tool the way it was intended unless I pay for a subscription now?...uhgg!

At least our blend-shapes work eh? From what I read "extensions" also comes with a lovely little bug that breaks blend-shapes. They still seem to work for our venilla copies of Maya2014 however.

Message 4 of 10
nuxe
in reply to: tyjohnson

hi TYjohnson,

thank you for replying sorry i couldn't reply earlier
are you sure about the Maya "Extension, that thats what we need?

also i have a student free maya 2014 . Will i be able to download it for free? and where can i download it from?

if you know please tell me or tell me where i can get the info

Message 5 of 10
tyjohnson

Good to meet you Nuxe, I feel your pain.

Yes I'm nearly convinced that what we both want is "Extension" for Maya 2014. If you read Maya's "Help" documentation regarding the "Quad Draw Tool" you'll notice some big red boxes that say "Extension" and go on to describe how the quad draw tool works differently in Extension (see attached).

I strongly doubt your student license entitles you to Extension since Autodesk only seems to be offering it to paying "subsribers". I could be wrong; Have you looked into Autodesk's subscription center, Perhaps students get a discount? I wish you the best.

I'm in a slightly different situation. The studio I work for provides me with a license for home use. They have a subscription too. Tomorrow I'm getting hooked up with the Extensions installer this time and I'll see if i can't put this issue to bed finally. If it doesn't work I'm going to give up and continue using my trusty $99 copy of "Topogun".

Happy Halloween

Message 6 of 10
nuxe
in reply to: tyjohnson

thank you TJ for the info. sorry i couldn't be quicker with my replies. i'm in the middle of my term and have so much to do.

no the extention is not offered to students . I hope it works out for you

keep me posted
take care
Message 7 of 10
jms6826

Not sure if you got it fixed, or if this is even the same problem, but I was trying to use the quad draw for retopo and was getting annoyed because it kept snapping to the grid instead of my model. I didn't say make object live, but above the quad draw tools is a transform constraint, I just went to that and under the "other" dropdown menu I could select my object and it just worked 

Message 8 of 10
nuxe
in reply to: jms6826

hello jms6826

i tried what you said and it worked for me as well : ).

thanks for the tip
Message 9 of 10
tootough
in reply to: jms6826

Thankyou. It worked for me too. Wish the docs would update this.

Message 10 of 10
oracle2k10

i have a student version of maya2014 and i have the same problem with make live and quadraw keep snaping to grid. i went to the transform constrain option but could not find my object( nurbsuface). please help some1

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums