Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2014, move gizmo locked to center box handle when snaps toggle selected.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
john-hottel
3696 Views, 9 Replies

Max 2014, move gizmo locked to center box handle when snaps toggle selected.

Any thoughts? The move handles can be selected independently but when the snaps toggle is on the selection is locked to the center box handle. Rotate and scale gizmos are uneffected.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Steve_Curley
in reply to: john-hottel

Works fine here - snaps should not affect whether the Gizmo handles are selectable or not. Try grabbing the handle first then toggling Snaps on. You might get problems if the Gizmo is too small - try making it a bit bigger ("+" key next to Backspace).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 10
john-hottel
in reply to: Steve_Curley

When I toggle on and off the snaps, the gizmo handle selection toggles between the previously selected handle to the center box handle. Unselect snaps and the handle selection returns to the preivious handle. Resized Gizmo with no effect on problem. The problem presists in all files, after program restart and computer restart. Service pack 3 installed. Is this an issue for techsupport?

Message 4 of 10
Steve_Curley

Possibly - could you create a small scene which shows the problem, zip and attach it to a reply. If it works normally here then it's likely a settings issue - possibly corrupted .ini files - on your system.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 10
john-hottel

Thanks. File and images attached.

Message 6 of 10
Steve_Curley

Customise > Preferences > Gizmos > Move in Screen Space. I'll hazard a guess you've turned it off. Turn in on and see if it helps.

FWIW your scene works fine here.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 10
john-hottel

Fingered it out! Axis contraints were turned off. Right click Snap Toggle button > Options > Enable Axis Contraints. Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 10
Steve_Curley

Well spotted. I never turn them off because you can override them with that little Preferences option (grabbing the circle overrides the constraints) so there's no need to actually turn them off. Plus I have the Axis Constraints toolbar visible - last button on there is the same function as the one you described (and quicker to access 😉 ).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 9 of 10
john-hottel

Yes, don't know how the setting was changed. I might have a knack for unintentionally changing settings. Thanks again.

Message 10 of 10
Steve_Curley

Shortcut key probably. Alt+D.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report