Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a small thin chain?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
902 Views, 2 Replies

Making a small thin chain?

Ok so im fairly new to this creating 3d models and what not but i really enjoy it. at the moment i am using maya 2011 as my net connect sucks and i cant download anything else, sucks.

So i started messing about with polygons and the tools to create a few swords and what not for skyrim, decided my own mod needed a few new things. After being 90% happy with 1 model i decided to start on the detail, which is were i hit a wall and now need a bit of help. So here i am.

I am trying to make a small thin chain like one on the old pocket watches but i just cant seem to do it, i have used the torus and pipe polygons to try and create a nice looking chain but it does not work, they look wrong, to fat on the edges or not thin enough on the sides. its really frustrating as i enjoy making things like this.

if any one has any advice i would appreciate it. thanks all

grim
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

As for making a chain, there are a few ways to go about it. I would not recommend modeling out a chain for a weapon that is going to be used in a video game, most of the time they are just polygon planes with nothing more than a texture of a chain with transparences. I have attached an image that should help you to model a chain though. If you want a different looking chain, just post a picture of what you are trying to create and I'll model it out so that you can get aniidea of how to do it.

Chris

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you for the reply and the image you posted looks like i want it to look.

It is for a mod i am working on for skyrim, but i have encountered 3 major problems with doing this so i have had to re think each of those problems. My work around for the limitations of the engine are simple enough, the chain will not move and be an attached item to a robe in 3 places and on a breast plate to attach a pauldron which will move along with the rest of the main mesh.

Ill not ramble on with the rest lol. thanks again has been a real help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report