Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing individual models?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
duane_brown
213 Views, 4 Replies

Licensing individual models?

Not a modeling question per se, but need a modeling solution nonetheless.
As a manufacturer, we use Inventor to model our fabrications and do various animations for service manuals, layout options, etc in 3DSMAX. As a result, many of our models are highly detailed.
Some of our customers would like to use our models for their own marketing, but of course, I need to make sure our intellectual property is protected.

I will be using a licensing agreement, but was pondering if there is also some method of embeding a license or some type of disclaimer to individual models themselves - just in case. I could boolean our logo along with extract of license within the geometry itself (too small to be seen in rendering of course), but wonder if there is a better way.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: duane_brown

If you just need to embed your company logo and copyright information, would adding a text object be an option? The text object does not render by default.
Message 3 of 5
jeff

Just drinking (coffee) & thinking:
There is the "notes" animation track, but that is easily deleted.
There is the possibility of having a text message box pop up on scene open (via MaxScript). I'm uncertain if it would show on a "merge" or "import" though.

Hmm- that's it for me. Must need more coffee!

-Jeff
Max since 1992 (3d Studio) · Win 10-64 · Wintel workstation · 64 GB RAM · nVidia Quadro RTX 4000 · BB render garden via Deadline
Message 4 of 5
Steve_Curley

There are "PopUp Notes" - but they are part of a scene and will therefore only open when you load a scene, not when you import from some other filetype.
How to enable Popup Notes

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 5
dongray

Not sure how you could really do it. Anything you do such as Boolean could be undone if someone wanted to. Probably the only way would be for the copyright information to be embedded into the actual model code itself (somehow... could Autodesk create a dialog that would write copyright information into the model when saved or exported and then lock that?) but a file format conversion might break that. Or maybe someone has developed some code (or something that causes the converter to stumble and be unsuccessful) to protect the model from being converted.

All speculation on my part.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report