Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issuses with sub-object creating & editing

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
SBrett2015
443 Views, 3 Replies

Issuses with sub-object creating & editing

Ok there is few things here so I hope you don't mind be putting them into one post , it is all one of the same subjects anyway, immense difficulty with the basics of sub editing. there are lots of things i can do in Maya but this has always been a mystery and no YouTube video i have found explains this subject properly and consistently

1. Using "Merge Vertex" after extruding one vertex over another vertex's position doesn’t work, when I then pull the new vertex out from on top of the other . The underneath one is left behind and I end up with an unwanted       triangular face created from the edge of the vertex I extruded. Even when I Clean-up       and weld vertices at one side then the vertices on the other, it either doesn’t work, or the edge just disappears?

2. "Connect Components" does not work on vertices across holes, Surely there must be a way to extrude a vertex with only a single edge behind it?

3. When I extrude a vertex and then move it, it becomes a spike , splitting the two edges either side. Is there no other way to extrude a vertex without it producing hidden faces behind along the new edge? . I've tried putting the divisions to zero in the extrude options, but even then it seems to create multiple vertices which become evident when I then try to move it

4. Interactive spilt tool not able to go on a created edge across a hole and when I check to see if the new edge is properly connects by welding vertices & Clean-up etc. , it is, yet still the split tool will not go on that edge

If someone could help me here I would be very grateful or even if someone could put a link in the reply of a tutorial that covers these basics of fundamental skills ( extruding welding stop edges from disappearing when connecting vertices, use split tool on edges I have created etc. Thanks again. Si.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SBrett2015
in reply to: SBrett2015

Please anybody? I just need some direction of the workflow of component creation and editing. I would be very greateful for any help anyone could provide. Thanks

Message 3 of 4
damaggio
in reply to: SBrett2015

Tipically you dont extrude vertices, you extrude edges and faces...you can select edges and bridge to close a gap, or you can use the fill hole and then clean a bit if necessary.

Message 4 of 4
SBrett2015
in reply to: damaggio

Thanks, thats exactly what I needed to know. Since I usually work with software that deals with extruding verticies I just wondered if it was possible that way round, bit of a shame but at least now I know. Thanks again bud.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report