Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instance Object is black

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
neoxcorex
42511 Views, 5 Replies

Instance Object is black

Hello,

I'm using Maya 2015. Using Polygons. When I duplicate half of any mesh like a cube, the instance object becomes black because the normals are reversed. 
1. Edit, Duplicate Special, Geometry type: Instance, Group under: Parent.
2. I try reversing the normals for the black object, but the half of the cube reverses to black since they are Instance objects.

How do I reverse the normals of an instance object without effecting the other half of the object?

Any help is appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TechToast
in reply to: neoxcorex

Hi Neo

This looks like a new feature in Maya 2015 which shades back-facing polygons in black. I'm not sure if its intentional however as usually these features have an option to enable/disable them which I can't seem to find anywhere.

So although I don't know the proper solution to this yet (Only just installed Maya 2015) I do know that if you change your viewport renderer from "Viewport 2.0" to "Legacy High Quality Viewport" the problem goes away. This is a less-than-perfect solution however.

If anyone from Autodesk is able to provide a better answer/solution to this that'd be really helpful. It seems to me that this feature/bug, although potentially useful, does break a lot of other features in Maya (Like negative scales etc). Also since a lot of the rendering tools in Maya allow you to render back-faces, it is inconsistent and doesn't honour a lot of the rendering options like "Double Sided" for example.

Thanks

Mike

Message 3 of 6
TechToast
in reply to: TechToast

OK, so having done a little bit more research it turns out that this is actually an old viewport preference which defaults to being off in Maya 2015:

In your viewport menu simply go this this menu item:

Lighting > Two Sided Lighting

And the problem is fixed.

Thanks

Mike

Message 4 of 6
neoxcorex

It worked! Big thanks Mike!
Message 5 of 6

not sure if y'all are still around but you just saved my life in 2020. I was having the same problem. I'm a beginner. thank you

Message 6 of 6
ariley2T8ZWS

Thank you, I was getting stressed out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report