Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image plane?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
393 Views, 2 Replies

Image plane?

How do you cut a cylinder on maya 2015 to fit the shape of your image? I think i know how but when i do there isn't the horizontal lines only the verticle ones. Just incase you're wondering i'm trying to make EVE from WALLE.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Ok, I could be very wrong (and if so, no offense is intended) but I'm guessing your really new to modelling/Maya?

Generally speaking, most folks don't usually try to make the geometry fit the texture (image)...usually it's the other way around.  Usually you create your geometry (model) then apply your texture to it thru a viarity of tools, like uv mapping and such.  Since you said Eve from Wall-E, we'll use her as an example.  I'm assuming that you're trying to do her face (since she doesn't really have any other textures to speak of), so in this case you'd create her head...basically a sphear with a bit of re-shaping.  From there you'd go to your uv texture editor and likely create a UV map of the sphear which you could then open in Photoshop (or other image editor of your choice) and apply the face.  After this, you'd attach the file to a shader (Blinn, Lambert, etc) and apply it to the head.

Another method would be to simply use projection mapping...you'd project her face onto the sphear (feel free to Google "Maya Projectiong Mapping" and you should find plenty of info).

It's not impossible to shape the geometry to the image...you could for example attach the image to a basic poly plane (via a shader of course), add some geometry to the plane (via edge loops and/or cut faces), delete the un-needed parts, move some verts around, then use deformers and such to shape/warp the geometry to the desired shape...however for something like Eve, this is REALLY the hard way of doing things.

BTW...if you're working with a cylinder for say the body, instead of "cutting it", why not just scale it to the correct size instead?

I'm not totally sure that's what you were looking for, but I hope it helps!

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

After re-reading my response there, I feel the need to add an addendum for the sake of posterity and any other new modellers who may run across this...

-If- you are trying to create you geometry based on references images, this is indeed a different thing...I may very well have misunderstood the op up there.  If for example, you are making a model of a car, you'd import your reference images...hopefully GOOD orthographic images of the front, rear and top, etc., then yes, in this case you would model your geometry to the images.  VERY introductory stuff here, but by adding edges loops and cutting faces and such, you add more geometry to your initial basic shape which you would then manipulate (by pulling/pushing edges and verts, etc) to the shape(s) of the references images.  Plenty of tuts and info out there for people to find on this.

That said, if the op was indeed talking about textures, then as I said above, you usually create the geometry first then apply the textures

Sorry for the confusion...after re-reading it, I'm not sure exactly what the op meant by "images" since that can apply to reference images or textures.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report