Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start building a stadium

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
nalins22
1609 Views, 3 Replies

How to start building a stadium

Hi everyone

I'm planning to design an olympic stadium, but I was wondering where would I start? Should I build the interior of the stadium first, then design the outside (e.g. the athletic track)? Or should it be the other way around? 

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
AlexRichards
in reply to: nalins22

Generally speaking with large modelling projects:

- gather plenty of research

- spend some time designing on paper or in a 2D drawing package so you have at least something basic to follow

- block out basic forms in 3dsmax before committing to detailing

- use real world scale and also a human mesh to help you refine the scales of doorways and steps

- expect to re-build sections of the structure as you refine the project

- it can be useful to add trees, lamp posts and other street furniture around the building to add a sense of scale

Also bear in mind that designing an olympic stadium is a project in itself.  Doing CG for an olympic stadium is another big undertaking.  If you want to focus on the CG, I'd advise sourcing some plans from an existing stadium and using those.  Then you can focus on the modelling, texturing, lighting and rendering.  Without having to worry so much about the architectural design.

Hope that helps

Alex

3dsmax 2014-5 / Mudbox 2014-5

i7 8 core ~3.6ghz / 32GB RAM / Geforce GTX 770 4GB / 256GB SSD & 2TB HD / Dell 1920x1080 x2 / Wacom Bamboo Pen / Kensington Slimblade Trackball

https://twitter.com/looksfeels
Message 3 of 4
nalins22
in reply to: AlexRichards

Thank you so much, Alex. 

But just one more thing...would you recommend I start with the inside of the stadium first (e.g. the track, seats, lockerooms and so on), or the outside?

Message 4 of 4
AlexRichards
in reply to: nalins22

I would probably start with the inside.  And then build the exterior to fit around those requirements.

Alex

3dsmax 2014-5 / Mudbox 2014-5

i7 8 core ~3.6ghz / 32GB RAM / Geforce GTX 770 4GB / 256GB SSD & 2TB HD / Dell 1920x1080 x2 / Wacom Bamboo Pen / Kensington Slimblade Trackball

https://twitter.com/looksfeels

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report