Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a realistic wall?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
eric56379
1988 Views, 2 Replies

How to make a realistic wall?

Hi, I am making a house model, and this is the first model I've ever done in 3DS Max. I was wondering how you can make a wall that looks like this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEA5_he3pRk#t=37

(Go to 0:37 if it doesn't redirect you there)

I was wondering how I would be able to do this in the Slate Material Editor. Thanks!!

-Eric N.

(I couldn't attach the picture of the walls because I am on a chromebook, and there is no snipping tool.)

Giant Year Games
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Steve_Curley
in reply to: eric56379

Yes and no. You need to take a step back...

Slate is, as its name implies, a Material Editor. It is for editing Materials, not for "making a room" but for making the Materials which you apply to the structure of the building to make the different surfaces look like wood or plaster or brick or whatever. So no, you can't use Slate to "make" a room, but you can use it to make a room look realistc.

Making a wall is as simple as Creating a Box of the right proportions, until you need another wall adjoining it (at right angles) then you need to convert it (the box) into an editable form where you can create new Edges so you can Extrude the Poly between them to create a new wall. There must be a million tutorials on the 'net about creating buildings - you really need to settle down and watch a few to get a better idea about how to model in Max. This thread might give you some ideas.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 3
eric56379
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks, I already had all of my boxes down and stuff. I must've been going to fast with learning 3DS Max. I am teaching myself because there are never good tutorials I could find.

Thanks again!
Giant Year Games

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report