Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create openable door when it is not a separate piece of model?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
957 Views, 4 Replies

How to create openable door when it is not a separate piece of model?

Hello!

I have a house model from FBX file, it has several doors in it, but the doors are not separate so I cannot make it open in game.
Is there any method I can cut out the door make it separate and then make it open in the game?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Doors in games are generally separate objects, placed into the correct position relative to the opening in the wall. If you have doors which are part of the FBX you may need to Detach them from the main object. It would be possible to animate the vertex positions to make them open, but it depends entirely on whether the game engine you're using supports that kind of animation.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks for the reply!

My house fbx model doesn't allow me to detach the door because the entire front house walls doors windows are one piece.
I can not detach this way, but there must be a method to cut out yes?

Message 4 of 5
Steve_Curley

They may all be part of the same object, but it should be possible to work out which Polygons are the Door as opposed to those which are part of the walls. If you select just those polys you can Detach them to a new, separate object (assuming the object is an Editable Poly or Editable Mesh object). You may well find you have to clean up afterwards, both on the original and on the new door object because there will likely be "holes" in both which need to be filled in.

Can you post a screenshot of the front of the model so we can see what we're dealing with please.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 5
blakestone

You can use Bones or Helpers combined with the Skin modifier to rig your model to allow specific parts, such as a door, to move. I have setup a very basic scene showing how this can be achieved. I have included the MAX file (requires 3ds Max 2011 or higher to open).

bone.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report