Area :: Header
Announcing Smoke 2015
Extension 1!
Now with the LUT Editor and Matchbox in the timeline.
Discussion Groups

Modeling

Distinguished Contributor
rimcrazy

How does everybody make those nice smooth holes in polygon objects?

1751 Views, 18 Replies
09-21-2009 10:24 PM
I've been googleing and digging but I've really not found a clear answer just how people successfully make nice clean holes in polygon objects. I'm doing, what I thought, was a simple model of a pocket knife. It is a military one so it has lots of holes in the side. I started with a polygon box with as sparse of a mesh that would smooth nicely. I used a boolean difference to punch holes in the side. I then placed 3 more edge loops inside the holes, and cleaned up by adding triangles. You can see the mesh screen shots pre/post smoothing as well as a final render. I've been playing around with different tricks with just a box and a cylinder to see if I can get better results but so far everything looks pretty crappy. Any tips or sage words of advice would certainly be welcome.

Win 7 Pro 64Bit
i7 980 Extreme 3.33Ghz
24Gb Ram
NVidia Quadro K5000
Please use plain text.
Gezzie

Re: How does everybody make those nice smooth holes in polygon objects?

09-22-2009 06:31 PM in reply to: rimcrazy
Yea just make your Booleans with a more concave shaped cylinder - like a apple core shape.... (I have a pic but cant figure out how to upload it - message me with your email address and il send it....)

But it should give you a few more edges around the hole to make the Smooth mesh a bit cleaner... Hopefully resulting in a smoother hole...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lucho3d

09-22-2009 08:14 PM in reply to: rimcrazy
Have you tried creating a sudbdivision surface object, then subdivide the object evenly with insert edge loop command, cutting the faces where you want the holes to be, crease the edge of the knife so that remains hard, convert the subd into poly and smooth the result? That could do the trick.
Please use plain text.
valenRedBull

09-22-2009 10:19 PM in reply to: rimcrazy
Making sure you have good 4 sided polygons is a sure way to be ready to smooth your model later without problems. Here are a couple links that are for 3ds Max but the concepts are the same. You want to aim for 4 sided, square shaped polygons. Not long rectangular or long triangular, if possible.

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/modeling/problem-with-mesh-after-boolean/page-3/

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/modeling/how-can-i-add-a-cercle-whole-in-a-shape-wit...
Please use plain text.
rimcrazy

09-23-2009 04:57 AM in reply to: rimcrazy
Thanks for all the great comments. I will try them. I knew booleans can be a problem, especially in the areas where the meshes do not line up. Interesting on building the holes with pipes and then combining and building the rest of the mesh around them. I was thinking about trying that last night but did not get to it. I'll try these ideas out and post the results.
Win 7 Pro 64Bit
i7 980 Extreme 3.33Ghz
24Gb Ram
NVidia Quadro K5000
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kadin Shino

09-24-2009 03:12 AM in reply to: rimcrazy
you could just add the holes at the very very end. build your object, apply the smooth mesh then balloon your holes out. this way you would have already have a finished surface that you could put holes in. then just run the clean up object tool.

Cheers and good luck :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
mhr72

09-27-2009 11:40 PM in reply to: rimcrazy
clean up the polygon and then you the split polygon tool to create those nice 4-sided polygons and then use the edge loop tool around edges of the blade and each of holes making sure to get both the inside of the holes and the surrounding area with the edge loops. this will hold the firm edges when you smooth the polygon
Mark
Please use plain text.
rimcrazy

09-28-2009 09:17 AM in reply to: rimcrazy
I was able to make it work by essentially prebuilding holes that were perfectly symmetric and then using bridge, fill hole and cut polygon tools to build the mesh around the holes. Looks like a bit of a hack but it works. I'm finding that bridging and cut polygon tools can leave dangling vertices as well as create holes at vertex locations when I am not careful. I'm sure all of you well seasoned modelers have seen this. I have to work with it a little to figure out how to build piece meal meshes up and not shoot myself in the foot in the process of doing it. I'll try the other idea of using cut polygon to straighten out the mesh around the holes. That is probably simpler and cleaner in the long run. Here are a few shots of what the mesh looks like with prebuilt holes inserted.

Win 7 Pro 64Bit
i7 980 Extreme 3.33Ghz
24Gb Ram
NVidia Quadro K5000
Please use plain text.
RedCobra

10-05-2009 04:55 AM in reply to: rimcrazy
I am a max user and don't know anything in Maya, but here is how to do it in Max, it could be similar to maya.

Draw the profile of the object you want to make with a spline, create circle splines(which will act as your holes), attach them together(make them one object) then extrude the mesh...In max, you add a modifier called "Extrude" then the spline will become extruded into 3D...

Hope this helps ^^
Application: 3Ds Max 2010
GPU: ATI HD6970
RAM: 8GB
DX: 11
My website: http://www.wix.com/redcobra/Mohammed-Al-Khatib-Portfoilio
Turbosquid Page: http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Artists/redcobra?referral=redcobra
Please use plain text.
cambam

05-04-2012 11:49 PM in reply to: rimcrazy
I'm having the same problem expect I'm trying to make a tattoo gun piece can someone help me out ?

Please use plain text.