3ds Max 2015 Extension 1 is here

With new tools to power your pipeline
Discussion Groups

Modeling

M7520

How do you hide selected poly faces?

1992 Views, 5 Replies
04-05-2012 11:33 PM
I'm used to being able to select and hide polygons while creating models in programs like Lightwave and Modo. It is an essential function that I can't imagine Maya lacks, yet there isn't an obvious way to do this as far as I can tell. Is there a workaround?
Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
lee.dunham

Re: How do you hide selected poly faces?

04-06-2012 08:31 AM in reply to: M7520
AFAIK there's no out-of-the-box way to do this in maya.

A possible solution is a script to assign a new material (with no transparency) to the selected polys (stacking the previous material in a list or var to re-assign when your one).

there probably is a better way, however im not aware of it at the moment
try pressing 'b'...
ldunham.blogspot.com
Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
s_ehrenhaus

04-07-2012 08:08 AM in reply to: M7520
Hello there..
I just wrote a little script for you to be able to hide selected faces with a shelf button:

In this shelf you will find it, place that into your shelves folder.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25584030/shelf_PointlessScripts.mel

PS: This is a very very simple script, you need to create a shader with visibility set to 0. Ther script will look for the shading group called: lambert2SG - so make sure to name your invisible shading group like that.
You then just need to select tha faces you want to hide, and click on the shelf button.
Be Happy :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
M7520

04-12-2012 01:54 AM in reply to: M7520
Thanks for the script. I will give it a try.
Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
niceguysan

10-12-2012 10:38 PM in reply to: M7520
Hello there..
I just wrote a little script for you to be able to hide selected faces with a shelf button:

In this shelf you will find it, place that into your shelves folder.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25584030/shelf_PointlessScripts.mel

PS: This is a very very simple script, you need to create a shader with visibility set to 0. Ther script will look for the shading group called: lambert2SG - so make sure to name your invisible shading group like that.
You then just need to select tha faces you want to hide, and click on the shelf button.
I tested your script on maya 2010 it gives error saying // Error: line 31: Invalid flag: -enableBackground, and when tried to run on maya 2013 it does nothing and no error...

is it sane to write a python code and put it inside mel function, why cant you tell someone that you have made a python script and just give your python script..if u cant do it in mel...
Please use plain text.
Joai Thong Tan

10-30-2012 07:16 PM in reply to: M7520
Not too sure if this is what you want to do.

In your viewport, 4th icon from the right, it has a green dotted line with an mouse pointer in it. It is call Isolate Select.
Please use plain text.