Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I rotate on sub-object level using, with alternate pivot?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
DrStein99
741 Views, 2 Replies

How do I rotate on sub-object level using, with alternate pivot?

I'm practicing modeling a low poly cartoon tree and extruding a cylinder all over the place and having fun with that.  I know what I'm trying to do is probably pretty common, but I don't see anything obvious - or more confusing in the many pivot and axis systems I have to choose from.

If I select a group of polys and want to bend them at the base, instead of the middle of the selection:

rotate subobject.png

How do I do that?  In the past I would detach to another object, reset the pivot and then attach again, which got me by for making a chain-link fence - but seemed like an inefficient method.

Can someone advise please?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
kgokhangurbuz
in reply to: DrStein99

Hi;

This is actually fairly simple process, please follow the instructions below;

-Create a reference object to be selected as a pivot (i usually use a Point Helper (Create > Helpers > Standard> Point).

-Position it where you want to use it as a pivot point reference.

-In the top toolbar menu (by default), under the Reference coordinate System, click on Pick, then click on your preferred reference pivot (Attached Image: 1)

-Go to your object, and go to your Sub-Selection (Vertex, Edge, Polygon, etc), select your sub-parts of your object.

-Activate an transform tool and go to Reference coordinate System again, from the rollout menu, choose "Point001" as you defined your point helper as a ref pivot.

-Change your Pivot control system to "Use Coordinate System" (Attached Image: 2).

-Now you have a custom pivot point.

234.jpg123.jpg

Image-1                               Image -2

Let me know if this is your solution.

Best regards;

Message 3 of 3
DrStein99
in reply to: kgokhangurbuz

OK this works better, then I was doing - thanks for the reply.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report