Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardening edges

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Youngy798
4670 Views, 5 Replies

Hardening edges

Hey everyone.

I was watching a youtuber called Pigart and he does some nice lowpoly stylized artwork, I am trying to create things in a similar style but the edges aren't defined and instead are smoothed out. This would be good if I was making a normal asset, however in this I actually want my models to look blocky and lowpoly. Is there any way to stop max from smoothing the edges, similar to softening and hardening edges in maya? or just making the whole model look blocky?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
PROH
in reply to: Youngy798

Hi. Sounds like you should clear all smoothing groups. You can make a simple test by adding a "Smooth" modifier on top of you object and uncheck "Auto Smooth". This way it clears all smoothing.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 6
Youngy798
in reply to: PROH

I applied the smooth modifier and it gave it the effect I wanted, however if I removed the modifier it gets smoothed again. I checked in the modifier and 'auto smooth' wasn't ticked in the first place so I am not sure whats going on. Thanks for the help so far though, maybe I am just missing something 😄

Message 4 of 6
PROH

If the smooth modifier does the job, then you got two options to "remove" it and leave the smoothing off:
1) Right click on the smooth modifier in the stack an chose "Collapse All"
2) Delete the smooth modifier, open the editable poly/mesh modifier, activate polygon and select all (Ctrl + A), scroll down to "Surface Properties" and under "Smoothing Groups" press "Clear All".

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 5 of 6
Steve_Curley

If it's an Editable Poly there's a whole rollout just for the smoothing. Polygon level, select all, if any of the little numbered buttons are on then there's smoothing happening. Just click the Clear All button to remove it.

[edit]What he said ^^ :D[/edit]

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 6
Youngy798
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks for the help, I managed to find something myself. I was playing with the little tabs near the graphite modelling tools and I found some buttons which changed it from smooth, hardened etc. 

That seemed to work, I am happy with how the modelling turned out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report