Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Painted UVs From Model With An Applied Material

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
brood_harvester
542 Views, 4 Replies

Getting Painted UVs From Model With An Applied Material

Hello everyone. I am new here and to Maya, and am looking for some help.

Alright, so I have painted my model (got to look the way I want) within Maya. I would now like to export Painted UVs for use with a 3D game.

I am not sure how I do this, with other programs I have used, it was as simple as pressing the space bar or enter key.

Here in Maya, I can't find any option, or any documentation in the help files to tell me how to get my material, not texture, to become apllied to the UV map.

How do I get Maya to paint the UVs with the objects current material so that I may export them (create a "SnapShot")?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I guess I should of told you exactly what I was doing earlier.

I making a weapon skin for Counter Strike : Global Offensive to be uploaded to the Steam Workshop. They supllied me with the model with pre-made UVs, all I had to do was paint it and then submit the UV Texture.

Here's a screenshot:

UMP-45 Roger's Jollies Edition

When I open the UV Texture Editor to take a Snapshot, I have the option to select from 3 textures.

I used 2 textures which create two projectors, which in turn create one Layered Texture, which creates the material seen applied above. None of the 3 textures look anything like the material does in the viewport.

I would like to know the easiest way to have what is seen above applied to my UV Texture for export.

Any Help is appreciated.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: brood_harvester

First Brood, projection nodes will not work in other packages when you export.

The usual worflow that works for most jobs and games is to create the UVs in Maya, take a snapshot and bring into photoshop.

Paint your color specular bump etc...export each one as a separated flatten file.

Back in Maya apply your shader to model or model parts...and connect all textures to appropriate channels.

If everything looks good export the object as and OBJ or FBX so other apps can load them....the UVs for the mesh will be saved with the export , shaders and texture connections.

Message 4 of 5

Alright, I finally found the right friggen button...

Select the object you want painted (baked, I used the wrong terminoligy) UVs for, then select Color->Batch Bake (Mental Ray) from the menu.

1.jpg

The default settings created an atrocious looking 256x256 Baked UV so I had to tweak the settings a bit.

I had to first add an ambient light to my scene so that the entire object was lit up.

I then selected "Use bake set override"

I Changed the "Color mode" to "Light and color"

Then I set the X and Y resolution to 2048, and change the file format to TGA (only because the original UV file was sent to me as a TGA)

2.jpg

After pressign "Convert" and waiting about 30 seconds I was presented with the baked UV texture map I wanted.

3.jpg

Now all I have to do is open it in image editing software and tweak it a bit to fix any undesired areas.

It wasn't quite as easy as pressing the sapce bar, but pretty close.

Hope this will help others as well.

Cheers!

Message 5 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: brood_harvester

nicely done brood, you troubleshot everything.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report