Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time polymodelling plus picture

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
delobe
439 Views, 5 Replies

First time polymodelling plus picture

The orange highlight in the attached picture is a weird face. How do I go about removing this?

First time modelling some terrain using exact measurements. It is all extruded.

The issue stems from probably multiple extrusions, and deleting mesh vertices and edges. 

Also, what happens when a selected edge ignores a vertex that runs through it, when I want to select the edge from vertex to that vertex?

The issue in the picture: why does the face ignore the edges, it leaps across?

Thanks, this is my first time of many on maya

2015-01-30 22_47_23-Autodesk Maya 2015 - Student Version_ D__My Documents_maya_projects_default_scen.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
aklyne
in reply to: delobe

A quick fix for your problem could be to select that face and hit the delete key. If you have a hole left over that you want to fill, -polygon window- mesh tools- edit- append to polygon tool. -Select two edges across from each other and you have a face.

Also for the edge and vertices, I would select your complete mesh in object mode, -change to vertices, select all of the vertices in your mesh and hit delete. This will delete all of your unused vertices.

The append to polygon tool only works if it can establish a four-sided polygon. I hope this helps.

Message 3 of 6
delobe
in reply to: aklyne

2015-01-31 10_42_28-Autodesk Maya 2015 - Student Version_ D__My Documents_maya_projects_default_scen.png

Thanks, deleting the face has worked, and I have a new face on that side, now. But on the otherside, I still have this single edge that should be made up of two edges but isn't, therefore I can't create a rectangular face.

How do I split this edge at the vertex that bisects it?

Message 4 of 6
tsefreeflow

You probably have a rogue face there. Upload the file and I'll look at it.

Message 5 of 6
delobe
in reply to: tsefreeflow

Hi, I can't upload the file, in .ma or .mb since it is not allowed,

but that weird face has all the boundary lines of the object as edges. I ended up marquee selecting and deleting apparently lone boundary edges, and am now filling in the gaps with the append to polygon tool, which is very handy.

Just a besides, is it simply overly cumbersome to construct these kinds of projects: buildings and site maps in maya? Or do other people (professionals) use it in that way. Maybe I should ask that in another thread.

Message 6 of 6
tsefreeflow

You can right click on the file (if using Windows) and on the menu go to Send To then use Compressed (zipped) folder. This makes it a .zip file and you can attach that.

I am not sure what you are saying about the modeling, but modeling in Maya is pretty straight forward and easy with multiple ways to do the same thing. When you have rogue edges or faces, it is because you did something wrong, not Maya Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report