Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facial Modeling Help

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
294 Views, 8 Replies

Facial Modeling Help

Hi, I've been working on a model of a character, and I've recently gotten stuck on the facial modeling. When ever I try to model the rest of the face, It just looks wrong. Also, I beleive the topology is bad.

Any extra modeling methods I could use; your help would be greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
MayaGuru
in reply to: Anonymous

The approach u are taking is wrong why not using simple box with low resolution poly

study the loops the eyes and mouth loops are important for animations

go for utube study the method of Blocking
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Actually, I started out with a low poly, but then I thought i needed more verticies. Anyways, thanks for the help.
Message 4 of 9
samab

Do start with lo-poly, you will need more vertices, but add them as needed, in the right places, rather than starting with a grid-like mesh. I think that's what Maya Guru means.
It's no good having lots of polys if they don't make the shape you need.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

You really need good topology for animation. Especially in this cartoony style character where the mouth travels all over the face. Model in loops around the orifices of the face (eyes, mouth, nose)

Good modeling.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

How's about this:

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

I posted this in another thread, might help you.
http://wiki.polycount.net/Face_Topology
(site is down right now, should be up again soon)

The examples in there are using a technique called Subdivision Surface modeling, which is really good for facial modeling.

In Max, you typically do this with an Editable Poly as your base modifier, and either a MeshSmooth or TurboSmooth modifier on top. You do all the modeling work in the base modifier, while the upper modifier increases the detail and smoothness automatically.

Some more info about the technique.
http://wiki.nurbsandpolys.com/index.php?title=Subdprimer
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I agree. I'm not a great modeler but thats pretty much how I go about it. Sometimes a Relax modifier also help smooth out the harshness of the angles.
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for the tip.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report