Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude edge

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
paul
2016 Views, 8 Replies

Extrude edge

Hi,

Can anyone help me please?

I can manually extrude an edge by selecting the edge ( & Shift) and dragging. But I don't get accurate measurements, as soon as I take my cursor off the edge to type in a measurement, I no longer have that ability to type it in ( I don't want to use snapping).

I want to specify the direction and how long to extrude. I don't want to use a plugin if possible.

Any help appreciated. I've messed about with it but I cant figure it out.

Ive asked elsewhere, but thought this is really the best place to ask the question.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Daf
Advisor
in reply to: paul

Hi,

You can use the modeling ribbon - shift click on extrude, with an edge selected, and you will get the caddy where you can input your values. See attached. Hope that helps! 🙂

Daf

3DS Max 2020.3
i7-4790 @4GHz • 32GB • GTX 1080/8GB • Windows 7 Pro
Message 3 of 9
paul
in reply to: Daf

Hi Daf,

Thanks for your help, though unfortunately, it is only half of it. I take it the edge extrudes in the direction of the normal? I would like to be able to constrain it into going in either the X,Y & Z direction

Thanks again.

Paul

Message 4 of 9
ekahennequet

It's a workaround, but you can give it a try. Use the same Caddy extrude method that Daf mentioned, but enter the value of "0" for both Height and Base Width and hit OK checkmark. Then use the relative Transform method and type in the value of "extrusion." Here, you're not actually extruding, you're just transforming an already-extruded edge. The problem with this is that edge-extrude using the caddy method creates triangles to form a base and will be hidden in this case. You must either delete them or weld the vertices to get rid of them later.*

Any reason why you don't want to use the Snap?

*Edited text: You must weld the vertices. There will be extra vertices at the base as well.

Message 5 of 9
paul
in reply to: ekahennequet

Thank you ekahennequet

Thats works great and i'm ok with welding the vetices afterwoods. Small price to pay.

I have never been happy with snaps, they are ok if i have built the model in CAD and want to build a low poly version in Max. Just import the model and snap my geometry to it as a i go.

Thanks once again

Paul

Message 6 of 9
ekahennequet

You're welcome, Paul. There may be Maxscripts out there that does the same thing, but I've not spent time investigating it. Edge Extrude options in Max could use improvements and need XYZ options.

Message 7 of 9
PROH

Hi. Try this script: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/extend-borders
As far as I can tell, It's doing exactly what you want.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 8 of 9
paul
in reply to: PROH

Hi PROH,

I know i didnt want to use a plugin but that script is perfect, thank you. Better in fact, as you can control the angle as well.

Thanks every one for your help. Things just got a little easier.

Paul

Message 9 of 9
ekahennequet
in reply to: PROH

That script looks great, PROH. I should have a look at it. Thank you. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report