Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude causes spiked surfaces on cylinder

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2555 Views, 2 Replies

Extrude causes spiked surfaces on cylinder

The software install went fine but Maya won't allow me to extrude a group of faces on a cylinder. It's useless without this feature.
Steps to repro:
1. Download Student version and install as directed. (Autodesk_Maya_2015_R1_English_Japanese_SimplifiedChinese_MAC_OSX)
2. Launch Maya and register product as directed.
3. Select Create > Polygon Primitive > Cylinder and place in scene with random position, radius and height.
4. Set the origin to 0,0,0 and the Radius to 1.0, the height to 0.2.
5. Select any face to activate the channel menu details and modify the subdivisions caps to 2.0.
6. Multi-Select the middle edges and scale to create a thin set of faces to extrude.
7. Multi-Select the rim of faces to extrude.
8. Select Edit Mesh > Extrude.
Actual Result:
The faces explode into a star pattern. See attached screenshot.
Expected Result:
The Extrude menu appears for input details.
Notes:
This exercise is from a tutorial on how to build a solar panel. It is a simple part for beginners. I tried several approaches with the same result. I uninstalled Maya and reinstalled it with the same result. I downloaded a new package and uninstalled again and installed the new package with the same result. I had no difficulty registering the product and everything seems to be working as expected as far as startup and so on.I tried extruding other shapes wit the same result.software install went fine but Maya won't allow me to extrude a cylinder. It's useless without this feature.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
_sebastian_f
in reply to: Anonymous

in edit mesh there are different sections for the individual component types. try extruding faces instead of vertecis should do the trick.
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: _sebastian_f

That did the trick!

I became miopic following the video tutorial. I will look around more before hitting the forum.

It's easy to see that I have exactly 3 minutes logged using Maya! 😉

Learning a new program can be a humbling experience. It is good to know this forum exists to shepard users closer to their goal of developing a core compitency in the Autodesk products.

Thanks for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report