Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create soccer ball (8-shaped) ??

42 REPLIES 42
Message 1 of 43
Anonymous
1689 Views, 42 Replies

create soccer ball (8-shaped) ??

hello everyone,

i was trying to create this ball (http://imagehovel.com/view/d05/d05e4253121f0b032d124f4cbf1cc964.jpg)so i brought up the line tool and drew the 8- shaped piece first (http://imagehovel.com/view/38c/38c4c77ac65e854b92df6faaeed0ff04.gif) , then i connected vertices and applied surface modifier ,followed by Bend modifier using a sphere as a reference for the bend rate. after that i used the 8-shaped figure as a reference(http://imagehovel.com/view/0e8/0e885523cb79120ef9efe51304f47834.gif) ,to create the remaining 3-edged piece of the ball
(http://imagehovel.com/view/276/27628642ad3b61f249daca5dd7bb819d.gif) , then linked the vertices and applied surface modifier as
well.spherified all, converted to edit poly , extrude n finally mesh smoothed .(http://imagehovel.com/view/279/279545fa9c3e6c8e2f4bd26cfbb9a35b.jpg)

Noww , the results werent quite satisfying as the pic shows .
it is full of 'dents' , and also there is a flat surface in the middle of the 3-edged piece?not to mention being not perfectly rounded
(http://imagehovel.com/view/d8a/d8a7ad15aff5955e4dd84900a0a9bd04.gif) ..why did this happen ? is there a better way to it ??

the scene has been attached (3ds max 9)

thanks in advance.....

8520_rRT9bjnVyF5m8bBdHYuZ.zip

42 REPLIES 42
Message 21 of 43
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

you mean i should have arranged those parts(with text and logo) opposite each other on the same axis? if that is the case ,then you are right, i kinda randomly crammed those peanuts , sry for that lol
Message 22 of 43
Anonymous

Correction: I went through different models and they're not all the same. So yours might be ok.

Here. Just for fun.

And some of the textures I've found around: click me

Message 23 of 43
Anonymous

I've mapped the regular ball.
Lol, even the real ones do not have paintings that fit that well. It looks fake!

Message 24 of 43
Anonymous

downloadin the textures now..it is like you read my mind..i wanted to ask how to get textures for the ball but u got me for it..thanks again..

and about that regular ball..lol yea it looks fake..y is that??
Message 25 of 43
Anonymous

Now that you've gotten me sidetracked...

Message 26 of 43
Anonymous

...aaaand a last one!

Message 27 of 43
Anonymous

lool great work Caprier..couple of things i wanna say if it is not too much:
1-how did you make the baseball ball?(know the vollyball one from a tutorial on the net lol)
2-guess we still got the basketball ball that u didnt create.. lol
Message 28 of 43
Anonymous

What did you just say?

I'll put a few screenshots together for the baseball ball.

Message 29 of 43
Anonymous

The baseball ball.

Start with a cube. Add a meshsmooth, set iterations to 0, select the edges as shown (pic1), set their crease to 1 and iterations back to 1 and add an edit poly (pic 2).
Select the four polys and scale them down to 50% along the Z axis (pic 3). Select the two edges in the middle and scale them to 50% too (pic 4). Repeat the process for the other side but scale along a horizontal axis this time.
Spherify + meshsmooth (2 iterations) + spherify (pic 5).
Add an edit poly. Select the edges that separate the two parts of the ball (pic 6) and hit split. Your ball should now be made of the two correctly shaped elements (pic 7).
Select the two borders, make a selection set and shift-scale them down to about 95%. Retrieve you selection set, scale them up to about 105% (to make the lips bulge a little) and chamfer them about half the width of the new polys (pic 8).
Add a final meshsmooth (1 or 2 iterations) and a last spherify to control the depth of the seam, et voilà (pic 9).

(With the last meshsmooth, you better select all the edges and force the crease value to 0, as it is likely to get it from a previous meshsmooth and produce some weird artifacts here and there).

Message 30 of 43
Anonymous

Thanks, Dario.
I don't remember the exact value for the chamfer (I had it somewhere) but it was pretty close to 35% of the radius. If there's some maths geek around... 🙂

I know im late but...

its not that hard.

Message 31 of 43
Anonymous

LOL. In fact, it's something like 35.049.
Message 32 of 43
Anonymous

tablets are too much fun dont u think?
Message 33 of 43
Anonymous

just wondering...are there any rules or basics to figure out the root shape of a certain model..i mean i would have never though that baseball ball(spherical object) can be created from just a simple cube..are there any tutorials that would teach me how to go around creating difficult models by starting from their basic shape?
Message 34 of 43
Anonymous

I don't know if there is a technique but what works for me - and probably for most modelers - is to start with the final result in mind and try to figure what a very low poly version of it would look like.

9184_60ysTuQk4kvS9u3LE1tv.zip

Message 35 of 43
Anonymous

thanks carpier...the download though didnt complete downloading..using IE , it reaches about half way n exits..same result wen using Internet Download Manager..can you post it somewhere else please?
Message 36 of 43
Anonymous

Never mind the video, it's just a morph between the ball and a cube.
Sorry I forgot you were on dial up.
Message 37 of 43
Anonymous

alright.thanks for the hint caprier..
Message 38 of 43
Anonymous

Hello again ,

i am trying to correctly apply this texture(pic1) to the peanut ball but i couldnt find a way to go around it. i tried to use a uvw map but
was unable to get the line in the middle right (pic2).

can anyone help?

Message 39 of 43
Anonymous

You can assign three different material IDs to the top, bottom and central parts and map them differently: planar for top and bottom, cylindrical for central (don't split the mesh as I did below, it's just to show the parts).
As you have a solid color between these parts, there shouldn't be any seam problem.

Either do it the old fashion way (using Poly Select + UVW Map combos) or, better, inside one single Unwrap UVW.

Message 40 of 43
Anonymous

it is working..thanks Carpier .. though i hoped i couldnt do a "clean" selection of parts as the ones in your pic .. ?geting the parts are neatly sliced i mean ..?!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report