Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting vertices [SOLVED]

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
SageNTitled
1020 Views, 3 Replies

Connecting vertices [SOLVED]

Hi,

I stumbled upon this very small but annoying problem when trying to connect vertices. As you can see on the picture, the highlighted vertices are the ones I want to connect, but they simply won't since there's an edge in between.

Dist connect won't do it either. It creates a vertex at the center of the edge and makes the connection bent.

I know I can use the cut tool, but the problem with it is that once I have selected the first vertex the tool resets once I middle click to move over to the next one. The distance between the vertices are much longer on my actual project and zooming out will make hitting the vertices impossible.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: SageNTitled

Tap on the " I " key and the viewport will snap onto the cursor location. The Cut Tool will follow as well. 🙂
Message 3 of 4
Steve_Curley

Cut should be enough. Start the cut, zoom out if necessary, move the cursor to the general location of the destination vertex and press "I" (which will centre the viewport on the cursor). Zoom in, complete the cut. Obviously you must not click any of the mouse buttons during that procedure except for clicking the 2 vertices.

Or, select the 3 vertical edges, Connect, use Snap to Vertex with Axis Constraints on (click and drag on the Z axis handle of the Gizmo, not on its centre) and snap to one of the existing vertices. Weld the end vertices as there'll be 2 of them.

Or, upgrade to 2013 because that annoying "MMB cancels the current operation" has finally been fixed 😉

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 4
SageNTitled

Hahaha, that's reason enough to upgrade to 2013. =P

Thanks to both of you. Great explanations!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report