Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion with UV Mapping...

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
MansonNails
548 Views, 2 Replies

Confusion with UV Mapping...

I'm experimenting with adding texture to a 3D model I created in Autodesk Maya 2013 and I got as far as unfolding the UVs in the face and neck area alone. I figured I would move onto adding texture to the rest of the body after I get this part figured out. However, I'm already confused... I believe I selected the same faces I originally selected for my UV Snapshot, but when I proceed to apply the quickie texture I created, the texture isn't sitting properly on my model. For example, the mouth area which I colored in is now on the back of the head of my model and it's broken up. It's all wrong... I just want some practice for now and to see how my texturing looks on my model before I commit any of the designs, but I can't even seem to get this part figured out before moving forward and it feels so complicated. Are there any short and simple tutorials that you recommend for this phase? Did I need to keep the UV lines intact from the rendered snapshot? (I did delete that layer while working in Photoshop but I could get them back again if necessary.) Editing the rotation values didn't help either, but came close. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong and I'm just beginning to learn, so the advanced tutorials are a bit much for me just yet. Did I not reselect all the proper faces? Is that why the texture placed itself incorrectly? How could I fix this?

Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
DOM0
in reply to: MansonNails

I have the 2015 version and when I do automatic uv's I then go into my texture editor and click on edges. the edges light up so all I have to do is sew them. Only problem it's easy for non complicated models but when you got a complicated model. I notice you have to cut things and re sew. lol

I also noticed I have issues with mental ray and get a blue screen. I noticed if you restart the program it works again. so there is some bugs still in 2015 like the quad draw you need to download a beta driver I think 14.7 becuase maya always crashed when I clicked on that tab until I donwloaded that driver at amd. 

Message 3 of 3
MansonNails
in reply to: DOM0

I finally found my solution from someone else posting the same problem last year in another forum and even then it takes some exploration, but the solution lies in here:

Window -> Relationship Editor -> UV Linking -> UV Centric

I'll keep this posted in case anyone else runs into the same problem and relies on this forum.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report