Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't select anything in my viewport...

40 REPLIES 40
Message 1 of 41
Anonymous
83699 Views, 40 Replies

Can't select anything in my viewport...

im so sad.. i running maya 2011 x64
but about a week i started to suffer..
i cant select anything.. and can only select when i use select all in my right click..

i already try to revert the preferences settings and try to fix and reinstalling but nothing
of it works..

can anyone help me :((

40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41
adrianz
in reply to: Anonymous

you might have accidentally turned off your selection abilities. look at the top of the screen and see if you see an icon that looks like a lock. to the left of that there will be 8 icons in blue starting with a question mark closest to the lock. if there is a border around these they are locked and you wont be able to select anything in the viewport. click on each one until you are able to select whatever it is in your scene you are trying to select.

hope that helps.

Adrian
Message 3 of 41
Anifex09

Try going to the viewport pull-down select Show - Selection Highlighting - even if this is already checked it, uncheck it and then re-check it to reset the Selection Highlighting (BUG). Also make sure in your Display Layer editor that you are not using a Reference Display type. This problem is 90 percent of the time human error. You may want to also try using the selection editor to rule out if it is a viewport issue. I wish you luck.
Message 4 of 41
Anonymous

I have exactly this same problem, I've searched the internet a lot and this is the only thread that precisely explain the selecting problem I have.

For me, in maya I cant select anything normally since the last week, the only way to select something is to right click and select all, or the outliner, but another thing pops up, if you are using move tool for example and click anywhere on the screen it will move the objects instead of deselecting. and you cant move by selecting the axis, so it always moves with all 3 axis.

and as said above, I reinstalled maya 2011 64-bit and even tried maya 2012 but nothing changed. so it's not likely an issue with the preferences as said in the 2 above posts. could it be a display settings issue?

I've been using Maya for over 3 years now, but never had such a crushing issue before 😞

Any new help or suggestion would be very appreciated or life changing, thanks.
Message 5 of 41
Anonymous

Turn off Tweak mode.
Message 6 of 41
Anonymous

I just started having this same problem today. I was doing some home work of some very low poly modeling when I couldn;t select anything in perspective view. I can select objets from the other views however.

Also, if I select something in another view and try to move it in perspective, the selection is removed and I'm back to where I started.

I tried making a new camera but that didn't work either. I've tried all the suggestions on this post. I have been searching for hours but I am only seeing the same 2 or 3 fixes and none seem to work.

I am using a an ATI firepro 5800. Could the ati be the issue?

OP: what video card are you using?
Message 7 of 41
Anonymous

I just started having this same problem today. I was doing some home work of some very low poly modeling when I couldn;t select anything in perspective view. I can select objets from the other views however.

Also, if I select something in another view and try to move it in perspective, the selection is removed and I'm back to where I started.

I tried making a new camera but that didn't work either. I've tried all the suggestions on this post. I have been searching for hours but I am only seeing the same 2 or 3 fixes and none seem to work.

I am using a an ATI firepro 5800. Could the ati be the issue?

OP: what video card are you using?

At me the same problem, but at selecting edges/vertexs in ortographic view, they can be moved in the perspective view. Previews posts dont helped (((Help, please...
Message 8 of 41
Anonymous

I thought this thread was going to be about a bug that I found in Maya 2011 the other day (and it is a 'known issue' listed on Autodesk's site). I'll mention it incase anyone else finds this thread looking for it:

If you have "Camera based selection" switched on in the tool options *and* you have the viewport option "Wireframe on shaded" switched on also, you can't select edges or vertices. Also vertex snapping will behave weirdly. The 'solution' Autodesk give is just to switch off "Wireframe on shaded". The selected object is always wireframed so it doesn't cause too much of a problem, but it's a shame because I like having a wireframe on everything when the viewport is shaded, esp. when vertex snapping to a non-selected object.
Message 9 of 41
Anonymous

Hi the same thing happened to me today, I just selected everything with the right click, and select edges or faces and then go back into object mode. This seemed to work for me, I am not sure if it will for anyone else. I hope this helps 🙂
Message 10 of 41
Anonymous

For me it's the same problem only with motion trail . when the motion trail is active it(s impossible to select any object , to resolve the bug i have to delete the motion trail in the outliner and restart maya .
using mac pro 12 core radeon hd 5870
Message 11 of 41
Anonymous

Alot of things can affect the viewport. Here are a list of things to try.

1. Camera-Based Selection is meant to only select things that face the camera. It's buggy in 2011 and should be turned off.

2. Make sure the Selection Lock is not enabled. There is an icon in the Status Line - it looks like a padlock.

3. There are some options in the preferences, under the Selection heading. Turn off Click-Drag-Select.

4. Use the Custom Polygon Display options to globally disable backface culling. Unlike the viewport option for backface culling, this option does affect selection.

5. make sure Tweak Mode is off for the Move Tool. The only place i know to find the option is through the Marking Menu for the Move Tool.
Message 12 of 41
Anonymous

Hello,
I have look at all the criteria that you mention and it is still not working.

I can select the object, but when I right click to select component mode. the object automatically deselect. Can someone help?

Thanks
Message 13 of 41
Avotas

What graphic card are you using?

-Avotas
Message 14 of 41
Anonymous

Hi, had the same probleme. Once it helped to export the model as obj and open it in a new scene. Have you tried that?
Message 15 of 41
Anonymous

I had the same problem - I found out that I had the "R" checked in my layers panel on the right, once I unchecked it I could select obj's again

- Happy Maya-ing! 😉

Message 16 of 41
Anonymous

Maybe there are different reasons but ...

I had a very similar problem today, couldn't remember what I had done. Couldn't select with Marquee tool as a group for edges & polygons but I could for vertexies, which made it seem as if nothing was working.

Solution was ... Open up "Select / Select using Constraints" then "Close and Reset". Works fine now.

Message 17 of 41
alxcouto

Hi!

i just had the same issue, black viewport on selection dragging.

Here's my solution, though i can't find any explanation:

Just check the appropiate language of your keyboard settings and restart Maya. All works again!

i've got a 27" iMac with an Spanish keyboard.

The kb settings were changed to US and viewport went wrong. Back to Sapnish kb and everything fine again!!

Hope it can help!!

Message 18 of 41
rahuls

go the the upper section where you choose type of selection mode like circle,traingle,lasso,

right next to it, is another mode known as windows/crossing make sure it is unselected

problwm with me was that i couldnt select single polygon or row of polygon , i had to select

whole object  

Message 19 of 41
Anonymous

I have the same problem in 3DS Max 2016 with a particuar scene, (checked all suggestions above) but I am able to select objects in the perspective viewport (Not in any other). However, if I hide some objects, then selection works normally in all viewports - perhaps the problem is something to do with memory management?

I'm running two screens on an Nvidia GT610

Message 20 of 41
adamk

Did anyone find a solution for this bug?

I'm having the same issue in a couple files in Max 2015.  It is connected to geometry somehow. The same geometry is in both files.  If I hide all geometry, everything else is selectable.  When geometry is on - I can only make slections in Camera or Perspective views.  It is the same after merging into a new clean file.  There are over 5000 objects - I don't have time to merge piece by piece.  It is saved in the file - does the same thing on multipule computers.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report