Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boolean subtract not working as expected

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
skyeg321
9276 Views, 2 Replies

Boolean subtract not working as expected

I have two terrain objects that I created using a plug-in called mega-fiers terrain which basically gets information from Google Earth and creates objects for you. I have two of these objects one covers a larger area and has less detail in terms of polygons, also the material that is applied to it has less resolution. I want to nest the smaller, higher resolution terrain inside the larger one by creating a Boolean with the small terrain slightly above the larger. I would then move the smaller train to exactly in line with the other. I hope the screenshots help explain what I am doing.

I've converted both objects to editable polys and I've tried a lot of the options within the Boolean dialog box, none of which seemed to do what I want. Am I doing something obvious wrong? I can make a video showing the problem if needed.

Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
PROH
in reply to: skyeg321

Hi. Understand what you're trying to do, but can't really see from neither your description nor your pictures what's going wrong. So here's some advise that maybe (or maybe not) will help you.

1) Boolean operations will only work "correct" if the objects are watertight enclosed objects. So make sure the objects are enclosed and that all vertices are welded.

2) Boolean operations in Max has never worked specifically well. They'll often mess up the mesh and UVW and leave you with a serious job cleaning up.

3) In your specific case, the small piece of terrain has straight edges, and it looks like it fits nicely within the polygons of the larger terrain. Therefore I would choose to manually cut out (if nessesery), select and delete the polygons in the large terrain, making place for the smaller piece of terrain. This way you can preserve the UVW in both terrains.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 3
skyeg321
in reply to: PROH

what I ended up doing was converting both editable polys than performing a Boolean which would cut the polygons but not actually remove the material,  then I would just delete the polygons that I  did not want.  Thanks for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report