Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attached / Bridged Object Not Rendering Properly

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
nomaam
1776 Views, 6 Replies

Attached / Bridged Object Not Rendering Properly

I am working in 3DS Max 2015

I have a polygon object that I have created that was square shaped and capped with a plane object.

I wanted to make it rectangular, so I used a splice plane and cut it in half. I then used the bridge tool to bridge each of the opposing open edges. The mesh looks perfect.

Now the entire object has been grouped / attached together. However, even before being rendered the top plane has a different color then the rest of the object when viewed in a certain angle, but has the same color at different view angles. I am unsure why this is.

Then I apply a gloss material to the entire object. When I render the object the top cap plane and the areas that I created with the bridge tool render very strangely. The end pieces that were the original square render perfectly.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Two photos attached.

Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Steve_Curley
in reply to: nomaam

My guesses would be a) different Material IDs on the 2 parts (original and bridged) or b) different Smoothing Groups on the 2 parts. Difficult to be sure without seeing the actual model,

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 7
nomaam
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thank you for the quick reply.

When I apply the material I drag a selection box around the entire object (even though in the object explorer it has only one name)

Then I click apply to selected in the material pane to ensure everything is getting the material applied. So I don't believe they would have different material ID's. And it isn't possible to select just the bridge or top face to check the material ID as it is attached to the end peices.

As for your second point, how would I check smoothing groups? I am not familiar with this.

Also when I bridged the two sides, I only bridged the top section, not the bottom extrusion, as I am only rendering the top half. Could this be a problem? I notice that if I turn off force 2 sided then the top cap plane doesn't even render and shows black. I assumed that the thickness of the polygone wouldn't matter during rendering. The bridge section renders the same regardless of force 2 sided option.

Message 4 of 7
Steve_Curley

Save the scene with just that object in it, zip it and attach it to a reply. We need to see exactly what is going on and that's not really possible just from screenshots.

Every polygon has it's own Material ID - applying a single material to an object with multiple Material IDs is not something I would do as it doesn't make much sense. The idea of multiple MaterialIDs is to permit different materials on different parts of the same model. In this case I would assign the same Material ID to ALL the polys.
The problem may be down to UVs - again, it would be much easier to check this with the model in front of us.

Select a Poly, scroll down the Modify Panel until you come to the Smoothing Groups rollout (it has a lot of numbered buttons on it). If adajacent polys (which are at an angle to each other) belong to the same smoothing group they will "blend" into each other giving the illusion of a curved surface. If they belong to different smoothing groups there will be a hard edge between them - they will appear faceted - flat - not curved.

2-sided is not something you should need to use on a model like that. If you need it then there's something wrong with the model - flipped polys - confirmed partly by you saying earlier that the Bridge looked weird and now by saying that without 2-sided parts look black. Polys which are flipped need to be flipped back and then their vertices welded to to those surrounding them.

Not sure how you created this in the first place, but I suspect there may have been an easier way which would have precluded all this messing with bridging and separate objects needing to be attached.

Point to note. Polys are infinitely thin one-sided objects - they have no "thickness". A box, for example, is not solid, it is an empty volume surrounded by an infinitely thin surface (comprised of at least 6, polys or it wouldn't be a box). Having an "open" side to an object is fine, provided the camera can never see it, however, there are circumstances where it is necessary. Fortunately this is likely not one of them.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 7
nomaam

Thank you for the indepth reply. I am assuming that I am doing this the hard way, but I am new to the program.

I have tried to set the smoothing settings to auto but it didn't make any difference.

I have attached the work file.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 7
Steve_Curley

This is how I did it (see the attached file).
Create a Section Spline, rotated its Gizmo so it was vertical and moved it so it intersected your model then clicked Create Shape. Editied that shape to remove the one end entirely, and also removed the inner curve.
Created a Rectangle the same size as the outer dimensions of your model, then hid your model.
With the Rectangle selected, apply a Bevel Profile Modifier, click Pick Profile then click on the curved spline created above. Select the Profile Gizmo sub-object of the Bevel Profile modifier and rotate it so you get the correct profile - whichever direction you need to rotate it, it will be 90 degrees, so turn on Angle Snaps to do it.
If you want to remove the large back poly, add an Edit Poly modifier, delete that poly then convert to whole object to Editable Poly.

The reason you're not getting proper render is because the flat polys on the top of your model are flipped. Select them, click Flip on the Edit Polygons rollout. That should fix the rendering issue. As you don't need the "inside" I would carefully remove all those internal polys - they're just being wasted if they're never seen.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 7
nomaam

Thank you for all the help. The model looks great.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report