Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Illustrator with Color Information

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Omerpekin
594 Views, 1 Reply

Adobe Illustrator with Color Information

Hi, 

I am looking for a method to either "create Adobe Illustrator object" or to import adobe illustrator shapes to Maya 2014. Creating bevel shapes of curves or importing them has no problem but it unfortunately does not carry the color information to maya that easy. I know that when I import the curves to rhino it comes with the color information, so illustrator files and exports contain the color information. Is there a way to carry them into maya and preferably create materials with these colors? Since I am importing hundereds of different shapes it would not be an option to do this operation with hand. At least not an easy option. Thank you for your help. 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Omerpekin

Unless someone has something different to add (which I'd be interested in) as far as I know, Maya will only import curves from Illustrator...no color.  From my experience this also has do be done (importing Illustrator curves) by saving the Illustrator file as AI 8...won't work with any of the newer CS formats.  I suspect the reason for this is that Maya does not automatically create a surface for a curve that's imported (nor would we want it to).   Maya doesn't know if you're going to apply a planer or a revolve or an extrude, etc...and you have to have a surface before you can shade it.

I'd be interested to see if someone else has a bit more info on this as I do use Illustrator with Maya myself quite a bit.  I find creating curves in Illustrator a bit easier and a bit more intuitive than using the Maya curve tools (such as create bezier, etc).  Also Illustrator has that almighty Pathfinder tool which is a real blessing when it comes to creating complicated shapes rather quickly.  I just did a bent wood coat rack and a bubble gum machine for a project I'm working on and I was able to create the stands for both in about 5 minutes...created the curves in AI then imported and revolved them in Maya (sweet!).

Sorry if it's not what you were looking for, but good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report