Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[3DSMax] Automatically mirror an object - how?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
470 Views, 2 Replies

[3DSMax] Automatically mirror an object - how?

I wanted to start learning how to use 3DSMax by first making a sword model that could later be used for a game like Skyrim. But rather than making some simplistic, blocky sword, I wanted to jump to something more complicated to speed up the learning curve.

I was editing existing models in Blender before, so I already know more or less how to operate a program like this, and everything else can be covered with tutorials. But there's one thing I can't find a tutorial for...

Let me explain it on an example. I want to make a model of this sword:

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/7806/mk2z.png

The idea is that it's symmetrical and identical on both sides. I saw somewhere a video where a guy was somehow creating a model, and while he was working on one half, the other half was automatically updating and creating a perfectly symmetrical shape.

For this sword, I would be basically making only 1/4 of the sword, while the rest would be appropriately placed mirrors. I want this process of mirroring to happen automatically. How do I do that?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Apply 2 Symmetry Modifiers with the correct axes of Symmety.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

This is what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report