Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max Vertices welded by mistake

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
scott1391990
457 Views, 4 Replies

3DS Max Vertices welded by mistake

So I was following an iPhone tutorial and encountered this problem. The guy first put turbosmooth on the object and lowered the iteration from 3 to 1 so he could apply map.
So I did the same thing but got this instead.
Vert 1.jpg

This is the tutorial that I am following
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auEmhWmv0RU

Check it after 16:40 mark

As you can see there are 4 edges which are joined by a single vertex whereas I need 4 edges with 2 vertices. And the 2 sets of edges should be parallel as obvious.
I tried deleting the edge and using Cut tool to create the edge inbetween but it didn't workout.

Vert 2.jpg

It seems that at some point, the 2 vertices got welded by mistake in two places. I tried break, deleting edge and creating new one but not working as expected.

Any clues on how to get it right?
Max 2013 file also attached

3DS Max 2013 x64,Win 8.1 x64
Intel G2020 @ 2.90 GHz, 4 Gb DDR3 RAM
Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Steve_Curley
in reply to: scott1391990

Did you post the correct scene? The object in the scene doesn't look like the one in the image(s).

(1) Break the vertex.
(2) Select the vertex (you'll have to click it a number of times to get the right one - there's 6 of them) and pull it down out of the way. Repeat for the other side.
(3) Select the 4 vertices you didn't move and weld them.
(4) Select the remaining 2 and weld those.
(5) Insert 2 new vertices.
(6) Target Weld them to the lower one.
(7) Select the lower one and using Snaps with Axis Constraints snap it into position relative to those elsewhere which weren't welded incorrectly.

UnweldingVertices.png

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 5
scott1391990
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks Steve but after playing with Max for a few minutes and trying some different techniques I figured it out.

I deleted the two edges by looping them and then ring selected the inner edges. Connected them with 2 edges and 80 on pinch. Worked out as I wanted.

But got stuck on next step.

This time it's due to mapping.
Check the first 2 pics from the tutorial.

Tutorial (After applying Relax)
Tut After Relax.jpg

Tutorial (After Straightening)

Tut After Straightening.jpg

Mine (After Pelting)

After Pelt.jpg

Mine (After Relax)

After Relax.jpg

Mine (After Straightening)

After Straightening.jpg

Any ideas on how to get a flat surface on the left sided structure in the above pic?

Attaching the latest file I am working on.

Message 4 of 5
scott1391990

Okay guys. 2nd problem also solved.
I was not using quick peel as the guy in the tutorial was not using it. I don't know how he got a flat shape without using quick peel but I had to use quick peel and then pelt map and then relax and then straightening.
But the guy in the tutorial skipped quick peel for this peice.

The weird thing is that I had to use quick peel in one piece and not on the other which were somewhat similar whereas the tutorial guy didn't use it on either one but got similar results.Man Surprised
Anyways, as I was stuck due to this, I was watching a tutorial sent to me by ekahennequet and I thought it is better to watch these tutorials and get some hint/help as to what might be wrong with my model. And it worked out well. Glad I didn't end up watching a movie or playing some game but watched that tutorial.
Thanks ekahennequet

Message 5 of 5
ekahennequet

Hi. Good to hear you got it sorted out. 🙂

I looked at the part in the video tutorial you were referring to, and I personally wouldn't use Pelt or Peel for the cylindrical part of the model to unwrap the UVs. That part of the tutorial uses more steps than necessary. Pelt and Quick Peel are great for organic shapes that are irregular - i.e. creatures, animals, fruits, etc.

Unwrap UVW already has a quick Cylindrical Map setting that you can use. This is one of the video links I sent you and is only 4 min long. He unwraps the tire using the built-in Cylindrical map setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqGZ8M9b7EE

Re: Your previous example of Straighten UV tool

When your UVs don't straighten properly while using "Straighten" tool, it usually means that you have unwelded UV vertices at the seam or there are broken edge loops (or edge loops that terminate).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report