Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max 2015 - Trim Two Intersecting Objects

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
nomaam
4104 Views, 7 Replies

3DS Max 2015 - Trim Two Intersecting Objects

I am using 3DS Max 2015

I have two objects that are overlapping / intersecting. They are mirror images of each other of the exact same size and aligned on the exact same horizontal plane.

I would like to crop off the two extruding ends of the intersecting objects. I have tried all of the boolean and pro-boolean operations and none of them seem to apply to my situation.

Here is an example diagram

|
       o
       |
       |
-+-----+----o--
       |
       |
       +
       |

I would like to keep the object ends that have a + symbol, and truncate off the ends with the o symbol. My two objects are multi-curved objects so doing it by hand would be difficult.

What operation would I use?

Thanks

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Steve_Curley
in reply to: nomaam

Difficult, without being able to see them. Maybe use the Slice Plane to cut through the one model then remove the excess. Repeat for the other.
As I said, it's difficult to guess at this without being able to see it. A screenshot or 2 would help.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 8
nomaam
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks for the reply.

I've attached a photo

Message 4 of 8
Steve_Curley

Those are extruded splines? To be perfectly honest I wouldn't even try - much easier to create a Line, add a Sweep Modifier, select the spline shape. Form the image it looks as though it would work.
Alternatively slicing though them at 45 degrees, deleting the excess then attaching them and welding up the vertices might also work. Both are worth a try at least.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 8
nomaam

I am making a bit of progress. I'm new to 3DS so I appreciate the help.

Attached is my progress so far. I have the corner section done. However I am not able to bridge / connect the gap between the two.

The edge curve of the corner section is the exact same as the curve of the side sections.

What would be the best way for me to join / bridge / connect the sections shown in my photo?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 8
Steve_Curley

Looks like you sliced them at 90 degrees not at 45. 45 would have cut them exactly down the centre line of the new piece you highlighted.
Save what you've done and try that instead. You shouldn't need to create that new section.

To answer your specific question on Bridging, you can only Bridge Edges whch are "open" on one side, so what you'd need to do is remove the polys which you have on the "cut" ends of the 2 sections - the original and the new corner piece. In your image, in the top/right viewport, the center of the Gizmo is exactly on the poly(s) you need to remove.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 8
nomaam

Thank you. It worked out well and I got it to attach and look good.

Message 8 of 8
Steve_Curley

Cool - glad you sorted it out. As an aside, do have a play with the Sweep method - you'll find that for something like that it's easier to create it that way than have to "fix" it later.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report