MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real Time Recording of Live Mocap Stream

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
lamontr
2750 Views, 6 Replies

Real Time Recording of Live Mocap Stream

I am trying to record some motion files in Motion Builder for export to 3DS Max. I am currently streaming live data from a Motion Analysis Cortex system into Motion Builder. I have characterized my avatar as well as the skeleton that comes in from Cortex. I can successfully drive my character's motion with the characterized skeleton from Cortex in real time. What I'd like to do now, is record that motion for export as an FBX file, so my animators can use it without access to the mocap setup. So far, all of the instructions I have found indicate that I should be importing a C3d file and attaching the marker cloud to an actor to drive my character. This seems like a lot of extra work, if I am already driving the character's motion in real time.

Is there a way that I can just arecord that real time motion while sending the live feed from mocap into motion builder? Seems like it would be much easier to work with the skeletons/characters, then start mapping optical markers again.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Becky

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
brian1_nc
in reply to: lamontr

Yes, just use the record and play buttons on the MB time controls.

MotionBuilder 7.5 thru ...
3dsMax 2.5 thru ...
Message 3 of 7
lamontr

Thanks Brian, but I must be missing something. I have both the Talon Master and the Talon HTR set up to record. I hit the record button, play my motion from Cortex and the hit stop. When I try to replay the motion, the timeline moves, but none of my models move. It's like it is recording nothing. I'm stumped.

Becky

Message 4 of 7
brian1_nc

If I remember correctly. You have to hit the record button and then the play button to record.

3dsMax 2.5 thru ...
Message 5 of 7
lamontr

You are correct. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was not going offline from the Mocap system before trying to replay the recording. When I was still online it was expecting motion to come from the Mocap system rather than the recorded file. Thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 7
brian1_nc

Yes you can. Just hit the record and play buttons on the time slider control. 

You don't want to use the actor tool in motion builder for solving unless you only have marker data.

Sent on a Samsung Galaxy Note® II
3dsMax 2.5 thru ...
Message 7 of 7

I'm trying to do the same. I'm testing the live link from Dynamixyz. I can stream live to my face model, but when I hit record and play it's not recording anything. After record, I disconnect the live stream, press play but nothing moves on my model. As above, I want to record and then export the fbx file. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report