MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motionbuilder Camera Preferences?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1913 Views, 5 Replies

Motionbuilder Camera Preferences?

I had another couple quick questions for anyone really familiar with Motionbuilder cameras and settings. First, is there a way to get the camera to follow the actor when streaming live Mocap data? Secondly, I'm a Max user, so is there a way to set the middle mouse button to zoom in/out? I already have the keyboard layout changed to 3DS Max, which is nice, but the middle mouse button still doesn't zoom like in Max.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BradClarkRiggingDojo
in reply to: Anonymous

you can use constraints to make a follow camera really quickly ( just limit the constraint axis for position to x/z )for example.

Max middle mouse zoom, ctrl + alt mm zooms just like it does in max? are you wanting it to do the middle mouse wheel? I don't think they have that mapped.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: BradClarkRiggingDojo

Hi Brad,

I am trying to achieve a "first person view" while someone is walking (similar to what Breadwrap is looking for). I inserted a camera, but how do I limit the constraints?

Also, is there a better way to achieve this first person view?
Thanks!

EDIT: Also, I tried characterizing a character a friend made in MAYA, and I then attached a control rig (IK/FK) and the hip effector got all wonky, and now the whole character moves around abnormally when I get it to follow MOCAP data. Any suggestions? I already define the floor contact too.
Message 4 of 6
BradClarkRiggingDojo

you can just uncheck the affected axis in the constraint or you can use position limits.

If you want to make a FPS camera you can use relation constraints and the mouse or keyboard device and map it to your camera so you can drive or fly it around the scene.

As for the characterization problem it could be many things but it sounds like the skeleton is not build correctly or it is in a strange T pose when characterized. I can't really help you on that with out looking over a file but I currently don't have time to do that right now.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: BradClarkRiggingDojo

Awesome. So I can just use the camera as the "constrained" object, and the head as the source to follow?

I'll post up how this works for future reference
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

I get I'm posting years after this was asked, but just in case anyone else has the same problem I thought I'd give my two cents.

My preference for doing this is to turn on camera interest, then constraint the camera interest node using a position constraint with multiple sources (hip, spine and head bone) that way you get a smooth tracking as opposed to just using one bone. Looks more cinematic.

If you want the camera to move in worldspace and follow the movement as well as just aiming at it, just make a Parent/Child constraint using the same bones as sources and the camera as the constrained object.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report