Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum to be archived in several phases. You can no longer submit new questions - but can only answer existing threads until Oct 17th 2016. Please read this message for details
Mechanical Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's new in Mechanical Desktop 2005?

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
410 Views, 25 Replies

What's new in Mechanical Desktop 2005?

I've not been able to find any listing of the changes/enhancements for this latest release. Can some direct me where to look. Thanks Dan
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
moletzke
in reply to: Anonymous

You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: Mechanical Desktop 2005!
Message 3 of 26
gregw

As far as I can see, there is only one change in MDT2005 - the name. I think the only development you will see now and in the future is the mods to make MDT work on the current ACAD version.
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous

So that's the end of the line for MDT development? Since we don't use Inventor, we will have to take a serious look at whether we need to be continuing with our annual maintenance. Dan "greatwhite" wrote in message news:15737764.1089977442674.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > As far as I can see, there is only one change in MDT2005 - the name. I think the only development you will see now and in the future is the mods to make MDT work on the current ACAD version.
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous

We have fixed a large number of defects in this release that will make MDT even more reliable. Many of these defects are crashes that were reported through the automated system. We will continue to offer fixes for MDT in subsequent service packs to MDT 2005 if needed. You also get all the features of AutoCAD 2005, which you may or may not find useful depending on what type of work you do. We also continue to make enhancements to the annotation functionality for AcadM, some of which will be useful for MDT drawings. If there are new features that you need for 3D, we encourage you to take another look at Inventor 9, we continue to work on making it easier for AutoCAD and MDT users to migrate to Inventor, and this is where out efforts are focused for new cutting edge 3D design functionality. If you like Inventor's 3D, but would prefer to create 2D part documentation in an AutoCAD based environment, MDT and AcadM can be used to create associative drawing of Inventor parts via the Inventor companion feature set. Robert McMillan, Developer MDT & AutoCAD Mechanical Team Autodesk "Dan B" wrote in message news:40f7f23d$1_2@newsprd01... > So that's the end of the line for MDT development? > > Since we don't use Inventor, we will have to take a serious look at whether > we need to be continuing with our annual maintenance. > > Dan > > > "greatwhite" wrote in message > news:15737764.1089977442674.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > As far as I can see, there is only one change in MDT2005 - the name. I > think the only development you will see now and in the future is the mods to > make MDT work on the current ACAD version. > >
Message 6 of 26
CAD-TECH

When will inventor be a real mcad package
long way off from MDT built on acad.
A cad package for all users.
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous

Robert, It's nice to hear that MDT is not dead yet. MDT handling of surfaces translated from other programs is far superior to Inventor so far. If I can make a suggestion, not even see MDT mentioned in the marketing materials is rather depressing. Just having the type of information you supplied here would be an improvement. Phil "Robert McMillan (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:40f84431$1_1@newsprd01... > We have fixed a large number of defects in this release that will make MDT > even more reliable. Many of these defects are crashes that were reported > through the automated system. We will continue to offer fixes for MDT in > subsequent service packs to MDT 2005 if needed. > > You also get all the features of AutoCAD 2005, which you may or may not find > useful depending on what type of work you do. We also continue to make > enhancements to the annotation functionality for AcadM, some of which will > be useful for MDT drawings. > > If there are new features that you need for 3D, we encourage you to take > another look at Inventor 9, we continue to work on making it easier for > AutoCAD and MDT users to migrate to Inventor, and this is where out efforts > are focused for new cutting edge 3D design functionality. > > If you like Inventor's 3D, but would prefer to create 2D part documentation > in an AutoCAD based environment, MDT and AcadM can be used to create > associative drawing of Inventor parts via the Inventor companion feature > set. > > Robert McMillan, Developer > MDT & AutoCAD Mechanical Team > Autodesk > > "Dan B" wrote in message > news:40f7f23d$1_2@newsprd01... > > So that's the end of the line for MDT development? > > > > Since we don't use Inventor, we will have to take a serious look at > whether > > we need to be continuing with our annual maintenance. > > > > Dan > > > > > > "greatwhite" wrote in message > > news:15737764.1089977442674.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > As far as I can see, there is only one change in MDT2005 - the name. I > > think the only development you will see now and in the future is the mods > to > > make MDT work on the current ACAD version. > > > > > >
Message 8 of 26
trathier

Is the "Inventor companion feature set" part of MDT or Inventor? Where do I find it?
Message 9 of 26
cadsysmgr

If it is anything like 2004 you find it in Mechanical and Mechanical Desktop. FILE - OPEN COMPANION FILE
Message 10 of 26
cadsysmgr

OOOOPS, my mistake.

It is FILE - NEW COMPANION FILE
Message 11 of 26
trathier

Thanks, I'm still running 2002 which doesn't seem to have that feature and plan on jumping up to 2005.
Message 12 of 26
cadsysmgr

Correct, it was not introduced until Inventor Series 8. (Mech 2004DX and MDT 2004DX). However you could export a SAT file (dumb solid) from Inventor and use that in your R2000 but you will not have the solid link back to Inventor that the DX functionality gives you.

Also be aware that the Companion feature only works with PARTS from Inventor not Assemblies. I think though you DEMOTE an Assembly in Iventor wich will allow you to make it one large "part" then DX will open that file as a single entity.

Also remember this feature is for documenting purposed primarily, you prefer Mechanical or Mechanical Desktop to detail in so you have the best possible DWG file.
Message 13 of 26
gregw

Robert,

Thanks for the reply, but you've basicly confirmed there will be no meaningful new devlopment on MDT. With MDT 2005 all you have done is fix bugs (which shouldn't be there anyway or fixed in a 'service pack') and made it compatible with Acad2005.

Not that this is a surprise to many people, but it would be decent if Autodesk officailly stated what they're plans are for MDT.
Message 14 of 26
StewartMills

I would be the first to criticise Autodesk, and I have in the past, but in this matter they have been open and transparent.

It has been well known for at least two years that MDT specific development will cease, and anyhow there is not much they can add with regard to functionality. On a good machine, MDT still kicks Inventors butt. All right Inventor is easier to model with, but as a design concept to death tool MDT is still better even with large assemblies, i.e. more stable, predictable, capable. I often compare MDT with the Lloyd of London building; it is an ugly brute and has all its bits hanging out, but at the end of the day it does everything you need of it.

The principal criticism I would make of Autodesk is that they have not made life easy for the MDT user transferring to Inventor. For example: Large MDT assemblies cannot be converted, unless you have a year or so free, nor can MDT assembly files be 'placed' in Inventor assemblies; there is no conversion path for MDT part or assembly files if you wish to maintain the drawing link, so MDT will be loitering around for a while yet. I could go on.

In my opinion it is best to continue updating MDT because they are adding backroom stuff that will make any migration to Inventor easier in the future, if that is your chosen path.
Message 15 of 26
gregw

Where is the offical statement? How long before it gets canned altogether? e.g. a statement like 'MDT will officailly be supports till june 2006'

Personally, I think there are still many holes in MDT too - especially in layout side of things. Models and Assemblies that change eg. a flange that had 4 holes is increased to 8 holes on a larger PCD:
making a dynamic PCD C/L that changes with it is impossible. The hole note can be done but is not documented properly and is not robust - if someone edits it the dynamic functionality falls out the window, and if assembled, the number of bolts in it can't be change automatically.

I've been told that linear dims can have other vairables in them, same as hole notes, but have never found any documention and no one has ever been able to show me. eg '10 pitches at 100 crs = 1000' changes to '5 pitches at 75 crs=375' when the drawing is updated.

If anyone can tell me how to do any of the above, I'll eat humble pie - in fact I'd be very greatful.

While I agree that inventor has many holes too, it can do most of the above AND they are still developing it. My problem with making the migration is that we have so much custom software development time invested in MDT most of which will be thrown out with the migration + the API learning curve + so many of our suppliers and customers use ACAD. The old rock and hard place situation.
Message 16 of 26
Anonymous

I apologize, but I'm a little confused following your statement: > I've been told that linear dims can have other vairables in them, same as hole notes, but have never found any documention and no one has ever been able to show me. eg '10 pitches at 100 crs = 1000' changes to '5 pitches at 75 crs=375' when the drawing is updated. is it in mdt you want to do this, or functionality you're looking for in inventor? thanks, Kevin "greatwhite" wrote in message news:21975350.1090488460732.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > Where is the offical statement? How long before it gets canned altogether? e.g. a statement like 'MDT will officailly be supports till june 2006' > > Personally, I think there are still many holes in MDT too - especially in layout side of things. Models and Assemblies that change eg. a flange that had 4 holes is increased to 8 holes on a larger PCD: > making a dynamic PCD C/L that changes with it is impossible. The hole note can be done but is not documented properly and is not robust - if someone edits it the dynamic functionality falls out the window, and if assembled, the number of bolts in it can't be change automatically. > > I've been told that linear dims can have other vairables in them, same as hole notes, but have never found any documention and no one has ever been able to show me. eg '10 pitches at 100 crs = 1000' changes to '5 pitches at 75 crs=375' when the drawing is updated. > > If anyone can tell me how to do any of the above, I'll eat humble pie - in fact I'd be very greatful. > > While I agree that inventor has many holes too, it can do most of the above AND they are still developing it. My problem with making the migration is that we have so much custom software development time invested in MDT most of which will be thrown out with the migration + the API learning curve + so many of our suppliers and customers use ACAD. The old rock and hard place situation.
Message 17 of 26
CAD-TECH

We have tried inventor and solidworks and just don't
like how these program work, Iam talking about style
and speed to get a job done. Mechanical desktop,
with some third party add-ins blows them away. You get a lot more for the money with mechanical desktop.
If I could find a program out there like mechanical desktop
I would buy it right now, but there is none. This is a real
problem for my company. We will use mdt as long as possible
and hope some third party add on will appear for acad with
advanced solid modeling.
Message 18 of 26
cadsysmgr

What specific 3rd party stuff are you using with MDT now??

I agree, MDT is a very good package. It is a shame the developers were never allowed to "fix" it properly. Guess the powers at Autodesk figured this would have shot IV in the behind.
Message 19 of 26
gregw

Re: What's new in Mechanical Desktop 2005?
>I apologize, but I'm a little confused following your statement:

> I've been told that linear dims can have other vairables in them, same as
hole notes, but have never found any documention and no one has ever been
able to show me. eg '10 pitches at 100 crs = 1000' changes to '5 pitches at
75 crs=375' when the drawing is updated.

>is it in mdt you want to do this, or functionality you're looking for in inventor?

Your can do this in inventor, but not in MDT as far as I know. In MDT you can only put variables from a parameter file or spreadsheet into a whole note, not a linear dimension (or any other dim).
Message 20 of 26
Anonymous

That's true, although you can workaround it by using a hole note without a leader for the variable display, and use amannotate to make that amnote text married to the view. We have done this on a few simple drawings here and it works fine. I haven't tried the fields yet in 2005 but possibly there will be an option with that object to do exactly what you're looking for. You can also make this happen with some VBA code, but that's a bit extreme for the average user. Kevin "greatwhite" wrote in message news:24084843.1090563674076.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1... > Re: What's new in Mechanical Desktop 2005? > >I apologize, but I'm a little confused following your statement: > > > I've been told that linear dims can have other vairables in them, same as > hole notes, but have never found any documention and no one has ever been > able to show me. eg '10 pitches at 100 crs = 1000' changes to '5 pitches at > 75 crs=375' when the drawing is updated. > > >is it in mdt you want to do this, or functionality you're looking for in inventor? > > Your can do this in inventor, but not in MDT as far as I know. In MDT you can only put variables from a parameter file or spreadsheet into a whole note, not a linear dimension (or any other dim).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report